free website stats program premium chrome tour pac hinges | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

premium chrome tour pac hinges

I did this on my '06 after returning from Key West, and noticing that the luggage I had strapped to the passenger seat, and the luggage rack had screwed up the cheap factory ones. I had a heck of a time drilling out the old hinges because I was using some old drill bits I had laying around for years, instead of stopping and going to buy some new ones (even though I thought about it several times....I'm stubborn like that) KEY: have a couple new "metal cutting" dill bits handy.

I also did this by myself and it was tricky holding the tour pack lid in a position that made it manageable and secure while drilling out the old hinges, then even trickier holding it in place to line up the existing holes with the new hinges, while also trying to put the screw into the hole. But it was'nt too difficult, just tricky. Altogether took me about 2 hours.

I was so pleased with the look of the new hinges, and the way they worked. I am waiting to find my next block of time to do the replacement on my '09, just because the replacements are so much better. You might want to replace the factory lid cable with some jack chain as TQuentin has suggested also.

The most difficult part for me was keeping the stock rivets from spinning when drilling the heads off, and that was not difficult at all. Just go slow, and align the lid to your latches before final tightening. It is nice to have someone hold the lid for insurance. They look soo much better than the stock hinges.

Even though I was using a sharp drill bit, I did have 2 of them spin on me. I found that a dremel tool worked just fine to grind off the heads and keep the project on track.

The most difficult part for me was keeping the stock rivets from spinning when drilling the heads off, and that was not difficult at all. Just go slow, and align the lid to your latches before final tightening. It is nice to have someone hold the lid for insurance. They look soo much better than the stock hinges.

I could have offered a little more information. When the rivets started spinning, I just pressed a rubber jar lid remover against the head, and it offered enough friction to hold them still. :newsmile030:

Ya the old ones are cheaper but don't look as good.
To each his own. What else am I going to do, being
retired I have all the time untill the man calls my number.
I hope its down the road along ways.:NEVADA

Back