free website stats program Passenger Mounting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger Mounting

Very good read, The Redhead would always ask, Ready, that would get me in tune for her to get on the bike:s

One time my wife went to mount on the rear of my BMW R100RT i was on the bike holding it upright she stood too far back from the bike and pulled me and the bike over
She has lost a good bit of weight since then and now rides her own bike
so ensure passenger is close to the bike and their weight is going straight down on the rear peg

Brian
My wife has always waited for a nod to board, after I have started the bike, always being careful to keep her weight close to the bike. I had a skinny girl about 50 lbs less than my wife pull me and the bike over by boarding at arms length. Really took me by surprise.

My wife has always waited for a nod to board, after I have started the bike, always being careful to keep her weight close to the bike. I had a skinny girl about 50 lbs less than my wife pull me and the bike over by boarding at arms length. Really took me by surprise.

Aye that was the manoeuvre that got me

Brian

I agree with Smitty 100%. The problem is not the jiffystand, it is just that latch/hold feature (which is also not bad). My thing is, with all the weight on the bike with the passenger, if you have to tilt the bike to the right further than comfort level to unlatch it, my 135 lbs, over 1/2 century old frame and right leg strength is not enough to waggle the bike with authority. The other problem is when the bike is parked on a crowned surface you have to lean the bike even farther to the right, and having fully ladened bike, you may not have the strength to lean it over far enough to swing the jiffy stand free to the up position, and hold it long enough to put the bike in gear (hence I have it in gear, clutch & brake levers in). :coffee

On my Katana, the side stand did not have the latch/lock down feature, nor lean that far over for me to have the "problem" with a fully ladened bike (which was about 100 lbs less in weight but higher seat height w/ me on tip toes) Being "vertically" challenged and not being as "athletic" as I was in the 70's and 80's, my personal experience has been the only thing that has remained "constant" and I'm always learning...:51:

I'm with most everyone else. Passanger usually mounts from the left. I have the bike running, in neutral, off the the jiffy stand, clutch pulled in and front brake on. I then let her know its ok to get on. Same thing for getting off. I don't notice much of a pull the left when she gets on - but she doesn't weigh much :s

Two short one first show the jiffy stand will not fail nor will the bike tip. Second shows how you can step on like a set of stairs.
It will work for people with short legs and problems bending.
Bike parked with bars tight to low side.

I was always concerned with the jiffy stand breaking but it looks like it can take quite a bit of abuse. My wife always mounts on the left after I am on it and ready. Good to know there are other options if needed. Thanks Smitty.

Thanks for all the input. I never thought of leaving the stand down but I guess it would be a good idea to leave it down as a back up in case I slip for whatever reason when she steps up on the left side peg....

I agree with most posts, wife mounts from the left after I am on and have the bike held upright. But for me I leave the jiffy stand down until she is on. Can be hard to get it up some times, but I had the occasion on and off camber spot where she lost her balance and I could not hold the bike and we went down and she landed hard. The stand may not always work, but we always make sure it is down as and added insurance.

I mount up first, grab the brake, stand the bike upright, then nod for her to get on from the left. I then wait until she either says 'OK' or taps me on the shoulder before I start it and go. That way I know when she's ready, and she knows that when she hears the engine come alive, we're movin'.
Never had a problem, she's a good passenger. She's even learned that when we're braking, to keep the front of her helmet away from the back of mine. :s

Deuce, you made me laugh out loud with the helmet comment......my brother was a master at making me bump my head into his or spill my drink when I was getting ready to take a drink while he was driving. :) But he did teach me to pay attention to what was going on around me I guess. :s

Back