free website stats program Passenger Mounting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger Mounting

I think there are 2 Key factors with passengers moutning:

1. Bike in Neutral.....in case the passenger grabs your arm too hard and you let go of the clutch

2. The invitation......my wife and son know they don't even think about getting on until I tell them I'm ready.

I think there are 2 Key factors with passengers moutning:

1. Bike in Neutral.....in case the passenger grabs your arm too hard and you let go of the clutch

2. The invitation......my wife and son know they don't even think about getting on until I tell them I'm ready.

That's why I don't start it until the passenger is on and all settled. It's a lot different now that we don't have to jump up and down on a pedal to get the
engine going.

That's the most important part. The driver has to be ready before the passenger attempts mounting up. I can't tell you how many times I've
seen bikes go over, or come close to it, because the passenger just stepped
on the peg without letting the driver know.

My mounting technique is..
My wife (passenger) gets on first with bike on jiffy stand and motor off and in gear, I then plug in her intercom and heated coat. That way I can help if she needs it, then I get on straighten bike up put in Neutral then start it.

I have always done it this way and have never had a problem,it`s just easier that way for her and trying to plug that intercom in for her is a huge pain and almost impossible.

Dismounting is the opposite with me getting off first then helping her, mounting and dismounting is always done from left side.

Tubguy

Our current routine is:
Motor running, in neutral, clutch in, front brake on, jiffy stand up. Just before I give the OK for her to get on, I'll lean the bike slightly to the right. She boards from the left. As she gets on, I'll straighten the bike. Her initial weight on the left peg gives me good balance. While she's swinging her leg over I'm bringing the bike vertical. We've only done this a few times, so far it works GREAT. She will also tap my shoulder getting on, keep her hand on my shoulder for balance, and another tap when seated. It's much easier to do it this way than to describe it!

I do want to try the "on stand" method too.

Well, wife won't ride... so, I have the bike up and in neutral, motor running... then I shift into 1st and pull out. However, if the girlfriend is coming along... I do it just like Tubguy... lean a little to the right as she mounts from left -- not that much to the right, since the girlfriend is a petite little thing... I traded up for younger and smaller. :)

Back