free website stats program Old man’s early morning ride | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Old man’s early morning ride

Very inspiring story, keep riding as long as you can:s
:cheers

Thanks too for sharing your short story. Every now and then, something just seems to pop off the screen and grab my attention. I really liked reading this story --- it just seemed to be such a reality and as if I could feel and understand your thinking while writing.

Thanks again --not sure why, but, I really enjoyed reading your post today.
Bill - been Bill for 64 years now.:s

This morning I decided to take an early morning ride, before the Arizona sun got too hot. Being not a young man anymore, sometimes it’s difficult to convince myself to get out there and ride. But, as usual, no sooner did I get rolling did I forget all about age. It is indeed wonderful therapy to be out there, early on a Sunday morning, with little traffic and no particular destination in mind – just riding and enjoying each minute of it.

At age 75, I thought about the past as I drove north toward Tombstone, about the difficult early years, about two failed marriages along the way, two grown children living their own lives on the other side of the country, a long career in the state of Oregon, a new marriage now of 15 years, and how I’ve reached the point in my life of not much to do but ride the Fatboy, and take the wife out for dinner on the weekends. I stopped at a turnoff along Hwy 80 south of Tombstone, on the way to Bisbee, had a sandwich and drink – and then went on through Bisbee to the Burger King on Hwy 92, heading back toward Sierra Vista, where I stopped off for an ice cream cone. The Fatboy ran well this morning and brought me back home safely. Maybe next week I’ll do this again.

None of my family lived to be my age, so I guess I should consider myself pretty fortunate to be still wearing Levis and straddling a bike, while wandering around the desert communities of Arizona. Just thought I’d share my thoughts. Maybe I’ll see you on the road someday.

Thanks for sharing your story. I also live in the hot desert in Nevada and like you, I ride early in the morning to avoid the heat if possible. I will only be 72 this year and plan to ride as long as I can. There is nothing like the freedom, breezy in your face, the sound of a big twin, and no special place to go or time to return. Getting home the aches and pains return but I long for tomorrow and another ride. Ride safe my friend.

I'm only in my early 60's and I plan on riding as long as I can hold the ultra up. Then I may even consider a trike. I hope that I will have some great stories to relate on some great morning rides. :rider

You men have given me something else to look forward to. Buried Mother today and your post reminded me that I am still young @ only 54 and we all need to look forward and not back at what was but forward to all the good times we have left, if we remember to live. Thank y'all I needed that.
ps there really isn't anything like those early am rides

Sorry to hear about you Mother! I lost mine just before last Thanksgiving and it made the holidays pretty tough, but like you I just kept moving forward! The rides, every one of them, help!

It is awesome to hear that God has given you such a large number of riding years! I hope you have many more, and then some. I am a new rider at 55 with only about 500 miles under my belt, so far. I've wondered how many more years God will give me to catch up on my long-time dream of riding a Harley. After reading your post I am even more encouraged and looking forward to many more riding years. And you're right, it is great therapy. Thank you,

You men have given me something else to look forward to. Buried Mother today and your post reminded me that I am still young @ only 54 and we all need to look forward and not back at what was but forward to all the good times we have left, if we remember to live. Thank y'all I needed that.
ps there really isn't anything like those early am rides

How fortunate you were to have had your mother with you until recently. I lost my mother when I was 6 years old. And, yes, you are still relatively young! But, believe me when I tell you, enjoy those coming years to the fullest, as they will come and go like the sunset, leaving you with only the memories. Make the memories GOOD!

Thanks too for sharing your short story. Every now and then, something just seems to pop off the screen and grab my attention. I really liked reading this story --- it just seemed to be such a reality and as if I could feel and understand your thinking while writing.

Thanks again --not sure why, but, I really enjoyed reading your post today.
Bill - been Bill for 64 years now.:s

Well, Bill, with that Louisiana climate, and with luck, you may be able to double that, 'being Bill for 64 years' . Me, I plan to bungee jump off the new bridge at Hoover Dam on my 100th! If I don't make it, perhaps you can go in my place?

Back