free website stats program oil pressure??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pressure???

The bikes an EVO right.? I don't know if they're interchangeable, but make sure you got the right oil filter on there.

The bike has no mods to my knowledge to the engine and according to info in the trunk it is in the 2500mile range on the oil change. Plan on changing it real soon. The bike has 53000 miles on it and seems to be a good tight bike and has been taken care of. Had wondered about the spring in the relief valve do they ever get weak when they get hot? I am a pretty good wrench and plan on doing all the work on the bike myself. I have worked on about everything else so don't see that a harley can be that much more complicated. You guys are great and do like other folks opinion on things I am not educated on. not yet anyway:D Dallas

That certainly is one of the options for low oil pressure on the TCs. I have not seen an after-market option similar to the Baisley spring for the EVOs though. You might try a couple of washer that are slightly larger OD than the spring, and put those in behind the spring to see if that jacks up the pressure a bit. Might be all you need.

TQ

NO ONE HAS SUGGESTED check oil pressure with a gauge.......

CAREFULLY remove oil sending pressure unit on the right front of motor ( right as sitting on it)...... Use a quality gauge for the checking... or you may want to install a HD offered kit gauge and ALSO still use your pressure for the light.... I have always liked to SEE where the pressure is...

ON my 97 evo the pressure sensor was faulty and allowed the light to turn on when I had 7/10 lbs of pressure.... a new one solved the problem...

I"D BET ON THIS:
The LOW idle CAN take oil pressure BELOW the pressure it takes to hold the oil sensor light off....LIKE GLIDER SAYS 950/1050 rpm needed to keep engine healthy.

One other thing here, use the Harley pressure sending unit to replace the one in the bike now if it is deffective. Aftermarket and other senders have a different value and don't work the same indicating the same pressure. Even if it is an idiot light that is working off the sender, the pressure required to make contact differs between senders in aftermarket units.

Also as mentioned above by wildspirit97, the oil filter is NOT interchangeable between evo and TC engines. It will cause problems.

Bubbie makes a very good point. Ought to make sure you do in fact have low oil pressure BEFORE doing anything to increase it. But the oil pressure sending unit is towards the back of the engine to the rear of the rear cylinder lifter block. It is #31 in the attached pix:

CRANKCASE - GEAR SIDE - 1994 Harley Davidson FLHTC

Get a gauge that will thread in that port and double check that you do have an oil pressure problem. If not, replace the sending unit as Bubbie suggested with an HD one like Glider said.

TQ

Hey thanks guys, say by the way I haven't had a chance to check it out but is the gauge man or electric? I assume it is electric and runs off the sender in the block but really haven't had time to look. Seems everyone wants more cigerettes lately and am working overtime to meet demands. Thanks everyone all this info is really helpfull maybe someday I can answer some of these questions after I get familiar with this beast. haha. Really having some great riding weather here in the mid 70's, and am enjoying the ride to work and back at least.

Idle could be an issue here because I do think it idles a bit low I think about 600 rpm's or so. I'll try bringing that up to 1000 and see what it does. Thanks guys for the info.

If the idle is that low that very well could be the reason the light comes on,hardly high enough to pump any oil...idle should be like glider said 950-1050RPM. They rely on oil volume more than pressure.

Last edited:
you might try checking the oil pressure relief spring for tension. if in doubt new ones are about $7.00. I have a 03 solftail with 51,000 miles on it. Idles at 650 RPM with 14lbs of pressure and 38lbs at crusing with 230 degree temp.

Back