free website stats program oil pressure??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pressure???

It's your bike, set the idle where you want, but you might want to google "brunneling" and see some of the things engine builders say about it. Brunneling is the hammering of bearings on the power stroke due to lack of inertia. Think of swinging a weight on a rope, if you don't have enough speed it will fall at the top of the arc. 950 - 1000 is spec. for a reason.

Pasted from the '07 Softail manual.

"Engine oil should be at normal operating temperature
(230° F/110° C) for an accurate reading.
6. Oil pressure should be 30-38 PSI (207-262 kPa) at 2000
RPM and normal operating temperature.
7. Stop engine. Remove oil pressure gauge assembly from
oil pressure switch mounting hole in crankcase.
8. Reinstall oil pressure switch. See 8.33 OIL PRESSURE
SWITCH."

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

There may be dirt under the seat on the relief valve or a weak spring, as the oil heats up and gets thinner, it will bypass oil and let the pressure drop at low rpm. When you speed up the oil volume goes way up increasing the pressure in spite of the bypassing oil as you compress the spring. I'm not familiar with the harley pump, but that is the way most pumps work.

My old bike was an EVO and I had the same problem. I had no oil pressure at idle but my light never came on. My Harley guy said it was ok, only if the light never came on. My idle speed was around 1000 rpm's. Old bike had about the same milage that you have, 40 odd thousand. Pressure was good at speed.

Back