free website stats program Oil From Air Breather | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil From Air Breather

ewiltgen

I have a 2008 Anniversary Edition Ultra with 48,000 miles on it. It has a stage 1 air cleaner, Vance & Hines slip-ons and download was done when it was new. At about 42,000 miles it started blowing oil out the air cleaner. Not much but enough to be nuisance. I was told by the dealership they all do that when road hard when its hot out. It didn't do it the 1st 40k and I rode it harder in much hotter weather in the past. Does anybody know what's going on with this? I have warranty until July 2014. :newsmile070

Is it possible you over filled oil?
They all spew some oil into intake and sometimes oil will saturate filter and drip out.
Clean filter often and if you use a K&N use very little oil on filter.
Try running oil level at about 3/4 full.......Works for me.

How long have the pipes and ac been on? Have had cam's installed? We chased this problem on my buddy's bike and it was reverberation. We fixed his with two eye bolts from lowes. You should stop when bike is hot after a hard ride and swipe the inside of your breather to see if its gas mixed with breather oil. It is also real easy to over oil your filter

Did it start spewing oil immediately after the last oil change?

Check the oil level first, I run 1/2 qt less than the manual calls out for:D

i have an 02 roadking ~54K miles with stage 1, K&N filter, that does the same thing. moreso when the weather's hot. took the filter off and checked breather hoses. no problems. over the years, i've noticed that a contributing factor is how much oil i put on the filter. initially i was sprayin too much oil on the filter. but some oil blowback seems to normal, particularly in hot weather.

had this develop on my 2010 ultra classic. butterfly valvues were saturated and covered under warranty or ESP. 1st though if you used the K&N stage 1 air cleaner or most others for that matter remember they do not use the vacume hose that were on your OEM air cleaner. most likely was doing it all along. but to stop most of it when i change oil i only start with 3.5 qts and run it around and the check. but you have residual oil and if you have or dont change oil cooler there is some in there as well. but it usually tops off at 3.75 quarts. also the moco has changed their check oil procedure. used to be rest dip stick on top. now it is screw it in and back out...makes a big difference...
paqtrick

Back