free website stats program Oil From Air Breather | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil From Air Breather

I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I have an EVO that does the same thing
and I was exploring the possibility of tapping into the hose that comes from the SE air filter tube to the filter housing and then running it down to the engine vent tube that returns to the oil tank. I saw on a video the new engine vent tube goes to the oil fill spout/port on the oil tank. I assume this vent is just internal air/oil vapors, and not under pressure since they don't blow the dipstick out, seems like a better resolution than dumping the oil/vapor out onto the rear tire and roadway. Looking for some input, thanks:shock

Asphalt Made of TONS of Oil, rock/sand...

Easy for me to say:
Man, you must Not care for your motor... Putting back Harmful products to RE-Cycle around some pretty Delicate internal parts...

Think about it this way:

IF you take your Urine and re process it into Your system instead of putting it Out into the sewer OR behind BUSH... Not much different but the Volume. SAME RESULT THO......

signed....BUBBIE

I kind of get your point, but the oil that is coming into the air cleaner is just as clean as the oil in the tank or crankcase. If you are able to return it to the system you may not have to add oil between services . My old shovelhead made a big mess out the backend of the bike and occasionally my passenger and she didn't appreciate it. A dry sump system is basically what H-D runs and to make the best of what we have and still be "environmentally correct" (not really one of my reasons) it would seem to be a beneficial move. Unless the vapor returns are pressurized and could present an increase in the internal pressures and hinder high rpm operation. Just trying to keep things nice and clean.

On a tank like on my sportster or a softail, the moisture is really hard to get out of the tank, there from Normal use. I would re think putting More moisture in it.

I look into my sport tank and I do Joyflyn's Turkey Baster to suck out the foamy float...

To each their own.:newsmile049:

signed....BUBBIE

If it were all oil and nothing else maybe. The fact a lot of condensation is what would make up the majority of the discharge, I wouldn't do it. That's just me.

I get the moisture point. That could cause some issues. But many years ago I was in a science class where the good professor had a beaker with water in it and it was sealed at the top except for a hose attached to a fitting and the hose went down behind his lab table, the water was frantically boiling, he asked if anyone cared to pick-up the beaker but there were no takers, we all believed it to be hot. Turns out vacuum was being applied through the hose and was lowering the atmospheres in the beaker thus causing the water to "boil". The same effect is happening when the vacuum from your intake is applied to the vapors coming out of the rocker box, atomized gases then are burned in the combustion chamber. The oil that generally pukes out of the air cleaner is just oil and returning it to the oil tank should present no problems. Thanks for letting me "vent"

I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I have an EVO that does the same thing and I was exploring the possibility of tapping into the hose that comes from the SE air filter tube to the filter housing and then running it down to the engine vent tube that returns to the oil tank. I saw on a video the new engine vent tube goes to the oil fill spout/port on the oil tank. I assume this vent is just internal air/oil vapors, and not under pressure since they don't blow the dipstick out, seems like a better resolution than dumping the oil/vapor out onto the rear tire and roadway. Looking for some input, thanks:shock

Not being familiar with the internal crank case venting system of the EVO motor, I could be mistaken but there are two reasons I would not implement your vent plan.

1. You would be venting crank case pressure into the oil tank which could or would start blowing out the dipstick.

2. What is vented from the crank case is not only oil but also condensate and uncombusted fuel; JMHO, but I would not want that stuff in my oil tank.

Venting to the atmosphere is the best alternative. A catch can somewhere in the vent line can collect the oil mist and other liquids and allow the pressure to be vented without dumping any wet stuff onto the rear tire or roadway. There are systems designed for this purpose and a variety of "shade tree" approaches as well. Venting crank case oil mist and other associated contaminants back into the combustion chamber is the EPA at it's best and will only add to carbon build up on top of the pistons as well as dump oil into the air cleaner in extreme cases.

Back