free website stats program Oil From Air Breather | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil From Air Breather

Good morning I run the same bike & since new run 1\2 qt. less than manual calls for. If I fill it, it will leak out. Good luck.

I have had a dyna and a softtail and they both did it sometimes...I think when I may have put just a little to much oil in there...it is easy to do

I had an 08 Road King from new till 23,000 miles and 2012 Ultra limited from new till 30,000 miles. Both would drip oil from filter ,especially when in 80's and 90's outside.Kept level in Limited 1/2 quart low.Made no difference.Dealer service manager said normal and to expect when hot and run hard.You need to clean filter at least every 5000 miles and minimize the oiling of the filter.

Never udnerstoon why anyone would run less oil than is recommended by the manufacturer. Would you run your car/truck a quart low?:small3d012:

If the bike is an early model, change the breather valves out to the '10 or later; more efficient and those that have made the change have reported good results. Keep the air filter clean; clogge filter will contribute to blow by. Drill oil return holes in rocker support plate to .125" to facilitate drainage from the top end.

Venting breathers to the atmosphere is the best way to eliminate oil blow by. Crankcase pressure is the main reason for oil puking out the air filter; head breathers are venting into the inake path. Poor drainage of oil from the top end is a contributing factor but crank case pressure is what pushes the oil out. Vent and relieve the pressure; problem solved.:s

I had the same problem on my 06 ultra with a K&N filter, after a long ride a few drops of oil would appear on the little womens jeans. I tubed the breather vents into the intake, figured the vented mist goes in there anyway. Problem solved. Did that about 10K miles ago. Plugs never changed or showed oil.

I had the same problem on my 06 ultra with a K&N filter, after a long ride a few drops of oil would appear on the little womens jeans. I tubed the breather vents into the intake, figured the vented mist goes in there anyway. Problem solved. Did that about 10K miles ago. Plugs never changed or showed oil.

Yes this will work BUT many here KNOW that the added Junk (moister and oil) will add to the build-up of carbon and can be an earlier Death to a good running motor.

I have NOT done my 09 King yet (venting to the ground under bike) BUT want to when I find the time to get off it long enough besides Just changing the fluids...:D

Nice here In SE Az.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Yes this will work BUT many here KNOW that the added Junk (moister and oil) will add to the build-up of carbon and can be an earlier Death to a good running motor.

I have NOT done my 09 King yet (venting to the ground under bike) BUT want to when I find the time to get off it long enough besides Just changing the fluids...:D

Nice here In SE Az.:s

signed....BUBBIE

You the MAN,
I have the same little markings and must admit that I do ride it a little harder a times. You think I can expect it to get more noticeable as the miles grow? We need to meet up for another ride some time this year! Our local HOG Chapter's doing Tombstone but the YF and I will be unable to make the ride this year. Thought about you WAY over there anyway! Still got those sparklely shades? Ride Safe! Steve

You the MAN,
I have the same little markings and must admit that I do ride it a little harder a times. You think I can expect it to get more noticeable as the miles grow? We need to meet up for another ride some time this year! Our local HOG Chapter's doing Tombstone but the YF and I will be unable to make the ride this year. Thought about you WAY over there anyway! Still got those sparklely shades? Ride Safe! Steve

Steve,

It will not necessarily get worse (oil out). I'd do what I AM going to do and just vent the breathers to the ground and not thru the intake where they can and do drip onto the air filter causing what problem you have (minor and not worth monkeying with in my opinion)... High speed WILL usually do this on many bikes.

I took off the sparkly glasses and gave them a good home:s and YES, I Bought a New Pair.... You'll see me com'n from a mile away...:naughty

I'll be sending you a PM SOON, as we Might get over Your way front of March. geezer is com'n down from the frozen north..... he is in the -degrees usually while we are on the PLUS side:11:. Spending two weeks around here to Ride.
One ride I was going on recently and it was 60* here in the early morning, on the phone with geezer, and he said "it is 60* here also,,,,,,BUT added" You need to put a Minus sign in front of that number...:11:

Will get in touch with you as I know I'll take him over to the parker side and Lake Havasu area and then Up to Oatman and stay in Kingman for a couple of days traveling the Old 666 or called "Get Your Kicks on Route 66".

Later Steve,

signed....BUBBIE

I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I have an EVO that does the same thing
and I was exploring the possibility of tapping into the hose that comes from the SE air filter tube to the filter housing and then running it down to the engine vent tube that returns to the oil tank. I saw on a video the new engine vent tube goes to the oil fill spout/port on the oil tank. I assume this vent is just internal air/oil vapors, and not under pressure since they don't blow the dipstick out, seems like a better resolution than dumping the oil/vapor out onto the rear tire and roadway. Looking for some input, thanks:shock

Back