free website stats program no tuner needed? | Harley Davidson Forums

no tuner needed?

JJDH

i have a 2010 street glide. ive been waitng on the race tuner, breather, so on. ive been waiting for an exhaust company to get an exhaust out. finally one is available, i called this company for info about the 2 into one exhaust. the builder/ dyno/ design/ owner/ guy informed me that on th 09,s the computer got more advanced, now for 2010 it is even further along with the new 02 sensers, meaning that the computer will now compensate for a stage one on its own. he said at high elevations u would prolly need a tuner still. he told me that they have tested their bike quite a bit and with the exhaust they designed(this is a main stream company) and a heavy breather,the bike doesnt need a tuner, the performance will not change a bit with or without the tuner,this is due to the new o2 sensors... he said the computer isnt as advanced as a car yet, but it will compensate mixtures enough for road riding

You may want to question his logic on this one. At high elevations you need less fuel.
, true more research needed, i cancelled my tuner for now, gonna try to find more answers, he did mention that a tuner is a must with engine mods, i kno it is tough to get a true answer from the dealership, he was very convincing. they are just an exhaust company, they are far from inexpensive, their result must be accurate since they are a big buisiness, and specialize in exhaust

more info please - what exhaust ???? if you dont want to post it up PM me
if you change just the pipe the 09/10 will cope with this , but adding more air to the will cause the mixture to become lean and the closed loop system wont cope, it will struggle to keep it at 14.6AFR.
even with the new computer onboard and the new 02 sensors and position in the exhaust it will still need more fuel if you get more air in.
in know many have done power runs and dyno's and shown the results but trust me when i say DYNO's can be made to read what you want.
pm sent, just wanted to stay respectfull to the company. i dont kno them personally.. no need to promote, as i am unsure.

These bikes leave the factory now so lean even a bone stock bike would benefit from a little more fuel. JMO.

As I posted in another post a few weeks ago, the 2010 models have diffrent o2 sensors and are located more downstream on the exhaust system , So 2010 exhaust systems will be this year only systems ,unless you use slipons , What I find most unusual is that the location of these new sensors or soo far down stream ,I would be intrested to see if they are really sensing properly , most if not all o2 sensors are always placed as close to the exhaust port as possible to get the most accurate reading of how much oxygen is in the exhaust gases it sned the signal to the ecm and the ecm adjust to the set parimeters in this case 14.7:1, most if not all applications always recomend placement of o2 sensors with in 4 to 6 inches of the exhaust port as the oxygen level will change as it moves downstream, when 02 sensors or used downstream like on cars that have 2 or 3 sensors the downstream sensor is used to make sure the catalyic coverter is working properly but not adust the ecm for correction , I have checked the 2010 ecm part number and is the same as 09- previous years,but thats all I know rite now, But no matter what you will be running lean like all said and you should provide some type of fuel management system for optimal running conditions .I am still resurching about the new location and new type o2 that are being used so when I do find out I will post .

when you find out let me kno. the exhaust company states that the o2 sensors are more like a car now, also the ecm is more advanced. they said they had no result from adding a tuner, also the bike runs how it should. for a company to produce a 1200 dollar exhaust and then market that u dont need a tuner on a stock bike and can use any breather ,the bike o2 will adjust on its own. i just pu the heavy breather on, the bike runs well, no tuner yet, i am still trying to get more facts on the operation of the ecm, by all rights a tuner is proper, but if the o2 sensors do what are claimed then on a stock motor, no need for one. i just dont know. the new o2 sensors are also smaller than the previous ones, they are different

ok just got off the phone with a tech from d and d exhaust. no tuner needed for a 2010 with a stage one. if you do engine mods then you will need a tuner. the afr stayed the same when they dynoed the bike with an air cleaner and exhaust. now the only reason one would use a tuner is too richen it up a bit in order to run a bit cooler, the performance will stay the same with no increase in power from the tuner.. i am convinced. later i may buy a tuner and get dynoed, for now the exhaust is on its way...gonna install and run it like i stole it...:D

hey jjhd...

have you gotten the the new exhaust on yet?
i have the 2010 sg as well and am interested in the outcome.
in my conversation with d&d i was thinking of just doing the slip on..
don't have the $$$ to swap out everything..
i want to increase the sound, but am also waiting on v&h they say oct for their slip on..
hope the swap will work and give you the result you want

Back