free website stats program no tuner needed? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

no tuner needed?

the afr was about 13.5. wasnt lean. i will post a pic of the chart

Remember that A/F ratio is a 3 dimensional graph meaning your Plotting a point (your A/F ratio) against three other inputs:
1. Throttle position of grip in percent from 0-100%
2. MAP value (intake manifold vacuum or engine Load) from ~0"Hg - ~29.92"Hg
3. Engine RPM from ~600RPM - ~6200RPM

Saying your A/F is 13.5 is meaningless without knowing those other 3 values.

Example:
Engine RPM was 4000.
Map reading was 4"hg (very high engine load)
Throttle position was 100% (WOT)

An A/F ratio of 13.5 with these numbers is actually LEAN. It really should be in the 12's

So my point is be careful when someone shows you just one number without telling you the rest of the story

Hoop!

thanks hoop. i am still learning this stuff, so all i kno is what i hear till i learn it, like i mentioned i have no greif with tuners, on my previous bike it made a world of difference, that was a 180hp gsxr, i will prolly get a tuner next season, unless it proves completely useless for my stock engine, stay tuned....

i am still learning this stuff, so all i kno is what i hear till i learn it, ...

That's understandable. I am still learning also. I am applying what I know about mapping & dyno's as it applies to automobile engines. HD is a new world for me. What is very cool about the HD Delphi ECM software, is you can Re-map spark advance & A/F ratio to each cylinder independently of each other. I have never seen that on an (street, non-racing) automotive engine. If you really want to "do it right" you actually need an A/F wide band ratio meter or Infra-red gas analyzer for each cylinder. That may be splitting hairs but it's nice to know you can do it if your a perfectionist.

JJ, if you get the chance, post that sheet your dyno man gave you. I would really like to see the charts.

Hoop!

GTnot I agree sampling down stream is a question I have also, but now that they have added cats in to the stock exhaust for 2010 systems,
they sample after the cats witch is why they are down stream ,
I could only assume that the Moco has done this so they can meet the 2010 epa regulations and hold on to there sales on there SE exhaust systems ,now again the aftermarket companys have to spend money on development and re tooling < I dont no where this leaves the companys that mfg tuners , Im sure they will have to spend money to adapt also,At some point the Moco will have to give up on the Aircooled Vtwin as we know it. Just because a Sportster will run you $20,000 and a FLT standard will be $40,000 to be complient with the EPA.
i looked at my bike, the o2 sensors are before the cat

2010 models have the cats head pipe ,but I maybe wrong I did not get a chance to check every model, but the models I had the chance to see definitly have the cat in the head pipe , the Moco has a reputatation to make changes on one model first before incorporating that certain feature in to the whole line up, I asume they do this to test run so to speak, in 2009 they placed cats in the head pipe on XR , and if you noticed after years of having the same endform on the head pipe it has a new design,and coulpled with the moving of the 02 sensors. this is what leads me to believe all models have the cats in the headpipe but could be wrong being I have not seen the interior of the exhaust on all 2010 models Just the ones I have changed the exhaust and tuned.

2010 models have the cats head pipe ,but I maybe wrong I did not get a chance to check every model, but the models I had the chance to see definitly have the cat in the head pipe , the Moco has a reputatation to make changes on one model first before incorporating that certain feature in to the whole line up, I asume they do this to test run so to speak, in 2009 they placed cats in the head pipe on XR , and if you noticed after years of having the same endform on the head pipe it has a new design,and coulpled with the moving of the 02 sensors. this is what leads me to believe all models have the cats in the headpipe but could be wrong being I have not seen the interior of the exhaust on all 2010 models Just the ones I have changed the exhaust and tuned.
the cat is in the head pipe. the pipes go into the collector, at the end of each pipe are the new sensors, then the cat, then the muff, this is a street glide

13.5 afr, no tuner, stock pipe, heavy breather]
jjdh-albums-exhaust+install-picture2563-013_640x480.jpg
jjdh-albums-exhaust+install-picture2561-afr_13_5_no_tuner_heavy_breather_no_tuner.jpg

exhaust has alot of bark. i used their middle baffle for now, sounds mean.....
jjdh-albums-exhaust+install-picture2555-there_she_is.jpg
jjdh-albums-exhaust+install-picture2557-almost_done.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
jjdh-albums-exhaust+install-picture2561-afr_13_5_no_tuner_heavy_breather_no_tuner.jpg

here is the afr, unless i read it wrong, the dotted line is where it should be, at the end of the graph to the right is where it tops out at the limiter, appears to load rich then end of graph, the higher the number, the leaner correct? its perty steady at 13.5... also this was before the d and d exhaust, now i have to find another bike rally for a cheap dyno run with the new exhaust

Last edited:
Back