free website stats program no tuner needed? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

no tuner needed?

exhaust is on the way, should be here this week. i ordered the boss 2 into 1. i really wanted to get rid of the cat..

the builder/ dyno/ design/ owner/ guy informed me that on th 09,s the computer got more advanced, now for 2010 it is even further along with the new 02 sensers, meaning that the computer will now compensate for a stage one on its own.

Being able to REALLY compensate would require wide band O2 sensors instead of the common narrow band sensor. If the "new" O2 sensors have 2 wires coming out of them, they are not wide band sensors.
But interesting, wide band O2 sensors DO require being further down stream. They can't take the Heat like a narrow band sensor. Screwing in wide band sensors in present bung locations will result in short lived sensors.

I would count the wires in the O2 sensor to see if they are really "new".

Hoop!

Being able to REALLY compensate would require wide band O2 sensors instead of the common narrow band sensor. If the "new" O2 sensors have 2 wires coming out of them, they are not wide band sensors.
But interesting, wide band O2 sensors DO require being further down stream. They can't take the Heat like a narrow band sensor. Screwing in wide band sensors in present bung locations will result in short lived sensors.

I would count the wires in the O2 sensor to see if they are really "new".

Hoop!
i will look into that, i have heard they are wideband tho...

As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'm a bit cautious about the lean mixture that these bikes have to run at from the factory to comply with polution laws. It is no secret that the air cooled motor is due for replacement because of polution laws. I'd be considering a tuner if only to get the mixture somewhere near right so the motor may have a longer life. I just don't like lean motors!!!

Neil

i have a 2007 1200c and i recently got the vance short shots and the SE stage 1 installed.... at my local dealer. now for starters i called every dealer within in a 100 miles radius from me. they all gave me the same answer you need a super tuner... and they all wanted around the same price. then one dealer tole me that he can re-map my stock ecu..... this was much cheaper... he used a screaming eagle pre-loaded map for there stage 1 systems. and he said this will richen you up just enough to keep everything just right.... he said if i wanted to change the cam and do some engine work that then i have to add the tuner. so far about 2 mths later and 500 miles no problems... and my oil is staying cool running all day and not going over 205 degrees

as soon as i get the exhaust on i will post dyno results for the hp and afr.. this way we have some real world numbers. dont get me wrong im all about tuners, all tho, if i can save the extra loot for now and enjoy the stage 1, thats what im gonna do. its alot of dough all at once, i just got the bike a month ago..:bigsmiley28:

IIRC the '10 O2 sensors are now heated (thus now four-wire) but they are still narrow band. The sensors are supposed to "light off" faster allowing the closed-loop mode to kick in sooner, reducing emissions. How that works with them moved back from the exhaust port is the question.

two weekends ago at geneva on the lake, a guy had a dyno there for the rally. i paid the 20 dollars and let him dyno the bike, right now i have the heavy breather and stock exhaust. the bike made 79.5 hp and the afr was about 13.5. wasnt lean. i will post a pic of the chart

GTnot I agree sampling down stream is a question I have also, but now that they have added cats in to the stock exhaust for 2010 systems, they sample after the cats witch is why they are down stream , I could only assume that the Moco has done this so they can meet the 2010 epa regulations and hold on to there sales on there SE exhaust systems ,now again the aftermarket companys have to spend money on development and re tooling < I dont no where this leaves the companys that mfg tuners , Im sure they will have to spend money to adapt also,At some point the Moco will have to give up on the Aircooled Vtwin as we know it. Just because a Sportster will run you $20,000 and a FLT standard will be $40,000 to be complient with the EPA.

Back