free website stats program No Return Ticket – Just a Ride Report /w Pics | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Return Ticket – Just a Ride Report /w Pics

Guatamala:
Sunday morning and We Are In Guatemala :) The sky is bright and our attitude is even brighter. We had several thick corn tortillas and some great salsa left over from our dinner last night. Good enough for us, we just wanted to get going and check out this new Latin American country, ASAP.

We ride through several small towns and finally pull over at a little store for some juice and yogurt. As soon as I put the kickstand down Heidi sees a dead dog right next to my foot. She goes running away saying “pick me up over here when you’re done”. We love dogs and we have seen more dead dogs in the last two weeks than we have seen in our lifetime combined.

As we pull through another small town we couldn’t help notice a buzz of activity. People were coming from all directions heading toward a market area.
223936950-M.jpg

Sitting at a stop sign we heard a loud squeal. This pig didn’t want to go any further so the woman just picks it up and starts carrying it. The whole event looked so natural and routine.
223936603-L.jpg

We could have stopped every 5 minutes for photos but we only stopped a few times, we would have never gotten anywhere. Of course all the great shots seemed to be where we couldn’t pull over or didn’t pull over. Anyway, it was a fantastic ride through the mountains and through the small Guatemalan villages.

The most dramatic thing we notice right away riding through Guatemala is how green everything is, green grass, big green trees, huge green plants. This made the riding very interesting and gave us a feeling that we are in a cool and exotic place. Another thing we noticed right away is the lack of supplies in the small stores. We like to visit and buy supplies from small villages while on the road but here they didn’t have the supplies we were use to. The highlands of Western Guatemala are way different from anywhere we visited in Mexico. We like it but we just have to adjust to the differences. Another thing I noticed entering Guatemala is how hard of a time I had understanding the Spanish people spoke to me and the hard time they had understanding me. This is weird, I thought I was doing so well in Mexico understanding people and speaking Spanish. The challenge continues…….

223936849-L.jpg

You can’t help notice the huge public transportation system that’s in place in Guatemala, old school buses painted to the hilt riding everywhere and picking up whoever is along side the road, to modern or old mini-vans cramming as many people inside as possible. Everyone seems to know just what to do. A bus or van stops, someone jumps out and quickly climbs up on the roof and throws something off to someone waiting below. The climber hurries back into the bus or van and they are off again. It’s almost poetic.
223936950-M.jpg

223937258-M.jpg

The next city where we thought we could find a hotel is Quetzaltenango, or the Mayan name ‘Xela’ for short. Our guide book has a map of the city and a detailed map of the central zone. We have a good feel about a hotel we read about in our guide book that’s right in the heart of the central zone, Pension Andina. We found it after circling around the central park only a few times. Every road is one way here but the city is laid out in an understandable grid pattern with numbered streets and avenues. The guide book said this hotel has unlimited hot water, a beautiful plant filled patio and is spotless. After we inspect the parking, a secure and locked inside parking lot, we inquire about the price, $65 / week. Xela is known for its adventure hikes and Spanish schools, two things we are interested in. We paid for a week.
225007306-M.jpg

The Parque Centroamerica is only 3 blocks away. It’s a beautiful park with lots of seating, plants and people of all types walking around and hanging out. The park is surrounded by a beautiful church, natural history museum, restaurants, a bar and a few banks. There are also people sitting around selling handmade stuff, shining shoes and cooking and selling food. The atmosphere is cheery and friendly. The city park also has a number of foreign students hanging out. This is a favorite city for Spanish language students who want to be immersed into a more traditional Guatemalan city life.
223937462-M.jpg

224267198-M.jpg

225006955-M.jpg

Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala………

Warning! Tons of pics:
Heidi and I love to explore a new city on foot. We head out. (Warning! Tons of pics)
223937979-L.jpg

About 2 miles north of Parque Centroamerica is another park surrounded by a bustling street market.

Heidi enjoys buying pretty hand made bracelets, 39 cents to 65 cents a piece.
225007475-S.jpg

You can buy just about anything out on the streets here.
225007558-S.jpg

225007728-S.jpg

225008019-M.jpg

223940382-M.jpg

225008138-M.jpg

225008247-M.jpg

225008350-L.jpg

225008516-M.jpg

225811323-L.jpg

223940305-L.jpg

It’s hard to tell but those blackberries are almost the size of gulf balls. We bought what we thought were limes but after cutting them open we found them to be orange colored. They tasted tart like limes but with a slight orange taste. What are these things? We have fun buying new fruits from places like this and trying them out.
225008644-M.jpg

A couple more miles west is another even bigger and more bustling market centered at the fairgrounds. Well, we have to check this place out …….

Market entrance:
223939348-M.jpg

224261807-L.jpg

Market outskirts:
225811119-M.jpg

224262772-L.jpg

Deep inside the Fairgrounds market:
223939590-L.jpg

These are small fish.
224262852-L.jpg

224262021-M.jpg

224266587-LM.jpg

224266342-L.jpg

224262054-M.jpg

All the close up and intimate photos like this I would first inquire about what a certain item was they were selling, then ask permission to take a photo. I always received a huge smile and an OK. A lot of times the subject would get shy and turn away. Not this kid!
224262232-M.jpg

224265284-L.jpg

224262509-L.jpg

225811590-L.jpg

Later in the day the place got even more crowded and busy. Sometimes we would wait for a long time just to get through.
224262314-L.jpg

224262931-L.jpg

224263155-L.jpg

On the other side of this market:
On the other side of this market is an area where the so called ‘Chicken Buses’ drop off and pick up people. This is a lively section of the market where a lot of food is prepared and sold and people are running all over hooking up with their bus. Enjoy………
224265394-M.jpg

223939975-M.jpg

These kids I think are in training to be one of the runners that climb on top of the bus to stash and retrieve people’s belongings. Anyway, they were sure having fun.
223939901-L.jpg

225831199-L.jpg

And people were cooking and eating up a storm……
224265636-M.jpg

Get a load of those eggs!
224264956-L.jpg

224265036-M.jpg

224265764-L.jpg

I couldn’t just walk through this area without eating something. Hamburguesa (hamburger), this was made out of some type of meat that looked orange after being cooked. Not sure what it was but it tasted fantastic ($.65)
224265486-M.jpg

224265889-M.jpg

Ok, we had enough. This is back at the market entrance. Things have picked up considerably since we first arrived.
224266882-L.jpg

224266763-L.jpg

224261742-M.jpg

What a fun day. We bought a couple of towels to use at the gym, $.65 a piece, some fruit, a baseball cap and some other stuff. Plus, we came away with a whole new experience of the friendly people of Guatemala.

We walk a new way back to the hotel:

We walk a new way back to the hotel, away from the busy downtown area. We were looking for an inexpensive table lamp to use for reading but no luck. On the way back we pass a very small lamp and electrical shop. We purchased a 2 meter extension cord, a small lamp socket that plugs into the cord and a high efficiency bulb for about $3.00, perfect for hotel room reading :)
223940716-M.jpg

Heidi sees this pic. She says “Look, there are no electrical wires!” I say “Good eye!”
223939158-L.jpg

Getting close to the hotel. Talk about carpooling! There was no room for even one more person in this truck.
223938367-L.jpg

Heidi has been looking for a scarf to replace the one she lost. Score….
223938198-M.jpg

A few impressions we have gotten from the people of Guatemala:
After the border crossing absolutely every encounter we have had with the people of Guatemala has been warm and friendly. The first day on the road we stopped in front of a small rural home in the mountains to suit up into our rain gear. We were worried about getting to a hotel before dark, it was getting late and we were averaging under 20 MPH. We weren’t quite sure how far the next town was. A mother and several small children came out of the house and were hanging out in the yard close to us. I asked a young man walking past if he knew where the nearest hotel was, he acted like he didn’t know of any hotels anywhere. Then he points to the home and the family we were parked next to, saying we could stay here if we needed to. And this was from Guatemaltecos that are not accustomed to seeing tourists, let alone bikers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eating at the hotel restaurant where we are staying, there was a table of four gentlemen eating. As they finished their meal and were walking out, everyone of them paused briefly while passing our table to great us with a “!buen provecho!“ basically, have a good meal. While out on a marathon walk in the market area for locals, we stopped at a typical Guatemalan restaurant to eat. There, we get the same treatment, “!buen provecho!“ from an older gentleman. The people we have encountered here have all been reserved and extremely polite.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While out on one of our walks we came across a gym. We walk in to sign up for a week membership. The Owner Antonio comes up to me right away and says “bienvenido” (welcome) and introduces himself. The look in his eyes were warm. We walk into the weight room and get the same treatment from someone else, “bienvenido” (welcome). Every day we are greeted with hand slaps and knuckle knocks. We feel just as comfortable and accepted here as we did in the gyms of Mexico. Shadday Gimnasio
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heidi lost her headscarf and saw some kid, Lorenzo, with a pile of hand made stuff. Lorenzo showed Heidi several scarfs. We said we will look for him later. He was super polite and just said OK. This was nothing like any experience we had in Mexican tourist areas where they would keep hammering on us and follow us. Anyway, we looked for him later in the day but he was gone. The next day Heidi found another woman selling scarf’s and purchased one. Later, Lorenzo sees us and politely reminds us who he is. We told him, in Spanish, that we looked for him but he wasn’t around and bought from someone else. No pressure, he just looked kind of disappointed and started walking away. Heidi and I looked at each other and both were thinking the same thing. For the few bucks they were charging for this handmade beautiful stuff, we have to try to buy something. We chase him down. He takes us to his mother and brother who had a big stash of handmade items. I bought a scarf for me for when we try to cross the Andes Mountains and Heidi buys a cute little hand pouch with a zipper. What a pleasant family.
223938553-L.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Numerous times while out walking and passing by people we hear some type of greeting in basic English. When we look we usually get a wave and big smiles. We enjoyed returning the greeting with some slang English. This usually brought out a lot of laughs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
As with Mexico, we are really enjoying the people of Guatemala :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We hope you enjoyed our mega pic tour of Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala……….

Your photos and narratives are wonderful. Thank you both for sharing this trip with all of us. I look forward to your further adventures. All my best; and stay safe.

Hey Big Lou. Thanks a lot man for the good words. We are having a blast and posting the report to sites like this makes it even better.

Yes my brother, this was an awsome documentary and a tribute to man and michne. You should talk to discovery channel or something along those lines. Hell even CNN?

I have a HONDA VTX 1300 that I have done all the maintenance on to include Carb Jetting and I know that bike like a mom knows what her baby needs evendough the baby can talk. You know your bike that well and are quick to make on the spot repairs. As far as how you packet what you neede for the road , well! that is something you learn from riding you r scoot long, hard and far. Every time I did maintenance on my scoot, what ever was on the ground those were the tools I packed to in clude wire, duck tape, tire repair kit and a small hand pump. Lucky me I never had to use it on my bike, but I did repair manny Harleys. I am getting ready to retire after 32 year and seven months of active duty service to our great nation and I am planning a long trip. Sant was good to me and brought me a new Road King for my good behaviour. This is the bike I will make my trip on. First I thought Sturgis, but because I have so much to do to retire I don't think it will happen. I also thought a trip around the entire U.S. and that is doable specially after reading this great story of yours.

I aplaaud you and your courage to embark on your journey. The icing on the cake was seeing your girl traveling with you. That girl is a keeper. Mine loves me dearly and allowes me to do, go and roam where ever I feel like, with the condition that I come back in one piece and be safe:) I can live with that!!

Take care and I am looking forward to the book. A journey on an American legend.

Big Lou

Yes my brother, this was an awsome documentary and a tribute to man and michne. You should talk to discovery channel or something along those lines. Hell even CNN?

I have a HONDA VTX 1300 that I have done all the maintenance on to include Carb Jetting and I know that bike like a mom knows what her baby needs evendough the baby can talk. You know your bike that well and are quick to make on the spot repairs. As far as how you packet what you neede for the road , well! that is something you learn from riding you r scoot long, hard and far. Every time I did maintenance on my scoot, what ever was on the ground those were the tools I packed to in clude wire, duck tape, tire repair kit and a small hand pump. Lucky me I never had to use it on my bike, but I did repair manny Harleys. I am getting ready to retire after 32 year and seven months of active duty service to our great nation and I am planning a long trip. Sant was good to me and brought me a new Road King for my good behaviour. This is the bike I will make my trip on. First I thought Sturgis, but because I have so much to do to retire I don't think it will happen. I also thought a trip around the entire U.S. and that is doable specially after reading this great story of yours.

I aplaaud you and your courage to embark on your journey. The icing on the cake was seeing your girl traveling with you. That girl is a keeper. Mine loves me dearly and allowes me to do, go and roam where ever I feel like, with the condition that I come back in one piece and be safe:) I can live with that!!

Take care and I am looking forward to the book. A journey on an American legend.

Big Lou
Hey Big Lou. Thanks again Man and good luck with your adventure on the Road King. Telling us that maybe we helped inspire/motivate people to do their own ride of a life time is more precious then gold to us. Thanks for sharing your story! You are lucky as I am for having an understanding wife and we must take advantage of that for sure.
Also thank you for the 32 years you did serving our great country.

Also thanks all the rest for viewing and/or replying to our thread. This is really great.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, you guys deserve a live update: We are down here in Nicaragua now hunkered down for a good month. We have a nice new apartment with a pool and cable for $450/month. We are making this our base camp while we go off to explore the country (Nice base camp). Today we are riding to Leon and to some beaches on the Pacific. Monday, after the Packers win on Sunday, I’m going solo on the best ‘off the beaten path’ adventure. 14 hour boat ride across lake Granada, there I will try to hire a boat to go 120 miles up the San Carlos River to the Caribbean sea. This is supposed to be a step back in time with primitive villages along the river with monkeys and patriots. Maybe I can catch some fish if I’m lucky also.

When we get back from Leon I should be able to get this thread up to date to the point where it will be LIVE………
The ride continues……………..

Back