free website stats program No Return Ticket – Just a Ride Report /w Pics | Page 27 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Return Ticket – Just a Ride Report /w Pics

The ‘No Return Ticket’ adventure takes a big turn:

November 4th 2008, we should be landing in Quito Ecuador just about now but instead we are here, sitting in our little cabin in Northern Wisconsin thinking about what our life will look like moving forward. We renewed our world health insurance plan, bought two plane tickets to South America and had a ride arranged to the Minneapolis airport with a friend. We were all packed and everything was ‘a go’ but in the back of our minds we knew we were getting into trouble. Yes, the past twelve months touring Central America and Mexico we did spend about double what we hoped, but that was OK with us, we simply scaled down our South America plans a little, six months instead of twelve months. Then three weeks ago we couldn’t avoid hearing the bad news about the stock market. We tried to ignore it as if it wasn’t really happening, but that is where all our money is and we both knew we had to be taking a hit. Anyway, two weeks ago I did a net worth calculation and was not surprised to find out that we lost all the money we planned on using for South America plus that amount again. It was at that point Heidi and I set up a meeting for high level discussions. We talked over several scenarios; we drank several margaritas but no matter how we tried to alter our plans we had to agree, six months riding a motorcycle around South America would mean dipping into the forbidden cookie jar. Bummer…

Our emotions have been spiking up and down but every time we look deeply into each others eyes we can’t help smiling and reminiscing over the motorcycle adventure we just completed. We still feel we are two of the luckiest people on earth. The experiences we had, the people we met, the challenges we overcame will be with us now for the rest of our lives. Yes, we’re unemployed but are pursuing our long time dream of living full time at our cabin in the north woods. The future is a new adventure; it’s the start of a new life. The unknown of what lays ahead, the uncertainty, the infinite number of possibilities is what ignites our spirits to near explosive levels.

The adventure starts when things stop going as planned. Well, our new adventure is well under way now and we are embracing it with open arms. And, our South America motorcycle ride is not postponed, just delayed. So ‘No Worries’ this ride will continue…..

And again we want to thank everyone for all their support and well wishes over the past year. You have enhanced our experience and inspired us to Ride On. Thanks so much.

410644580_ucrxG-L.jpg

thats the best story on motorcycle travel that i have ever read . the people the places thats what dreams are made of :s thank you cavebiker

I just read your story lst night/this morning.Thanks for sharing:small3d018:

First, I am very new to this site but I am so thankful I found it. I work odd hours like nights and weekends so I have lots of free time to read through the posts. I ran across the "CaveDrama" this past Friday afternoon (11/7/08) and I just finished it this afternoon (11/9/08). There are so many emotions that are coursing through my veins after riding along with you for many thousands of miles that I can't even begin to describe them. I have already told many friends in the biker community about the story and how it attached itself to my soul. There is no way I will leave this world without completing a trip similar in nature to yours. The people, the places, the experiences, the emotion between you and Heidi, the amazing photographs..... :small3d028:

Good luck on the prep and planning for South America. I know the economy is a bit of a setback but things for you guys have a way of working out, dont they?? It would be an honor for me to eventually someday sit down with you and Heidi around your campfire and hear some of these stories first hand....

Thanks,
2002SilverSurfer

P.S. I wonder how a 2002 Heritage Classic would handle that trip?? :33:

Hey Technologist. Thanks for the great words man. And thanks for the questions.
- The motor blew just a few days past one year on the road. We set aside two years for this motorcycle ride.
- It’s hard to put a cost figure together. We took out $25K from our retirement fund to last for the first year. We went through that in 6 or 7 months. But that was not unexpected.
- Yes, just under 16K miles on this ride so far.
- We plan to be in Ecuador South America by the end of October.

Thanks again everyone for following along. This ride will continue…….

Cavebiker, Thanks for the memories and even though the economy is down right now, just take it easy for awhile. I know you and your gal will be up for the next episodes once the recovery begins with our new prez...until then keep us up to date...your photo-journalism is outstanding!!! :bigsmiley12:

Cave, I spent about a year and a half in central and southern Mexico as a teenager(I am Irish by descent) and everything you have brought to life in this post has been a mind-jog for me. It's too bad the drug cartels have such a stranglehold on tourism now- it just isn't safe for Gringos to go right now, but everything you have related here is spot-on to my experience. A wonderful bunch of people living south of us, and a fantastic place to scoot. I wanna do it on the 'Glide. One day, I will

Thanks for sharing yours and Heidi's adventure with us all..

Happy Motorin'! -F-

Thanks for sharing your amazing story! Excellent photography. Made me feel like I was there with you guys. Where are we going next?

Back