free website stats program New TFI install question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New TFI install question

Hey there fellow Forumites! (?)
Am I the only one that has a problem making a decision on their fuel management? I was all set on a Thundermax setup, until I talked with my indy (who I trust TOTALLY!). He wholehearted advised me to go PC III. But he will sell and tune anything my little heart (and wallet) desires. So THAT was my new deal to have done before Summer '11. And now as I read more about the TFI, I begin to question my decision. Am I just too wishy washy, or do other have the same issues?
Summer is coming and I'd like to get this behind me.....:small3d002:

Should I quit reading? Put all the choices in a hat a draw one? or ???? :small3d031:

Hey there fellow Forumites! (?)
Am I the only one that has a problem making a decision on their fuel management? I was all set on a Thundermax setup, until I talked with my indy (who I trust TOTALLY!). He wholehearted advised me to go PC III. But he will sell and tune anything my little heart (and wallet) desires. So THAT was my new deal to have done before Summer '11. And now as I read more about the TFI, I begin to question my decision. Am I just too wishy washy, or do other have the same issues?
Summer is coming and I'd like to get this behind me.....:small3d002:

Should I quit reading? Put all the choices in a hat a draw one? or ???? :small3d031:

If someone else is doing it for you, go with the TFI, its cheaper. I went with the PCIII and it was plug and ride. Of course I got it from the right person that stands behind what they sell. As much as i hear about how simple the TFI is though, I'm not convinced. Do this with the first pot, this with the second, that with the third, then run a few tanks through it and see if its good. Thats WAY more complicated then my PCIII. Don't even get me started on what installing the TFI looks like...........................But, it is cheaper, or should i say, "it costs less?"

Thanks gents...iceman, green-2:30, yellow-3:30, red-3:30 RPM 4:00....Sorry I left that out.

OK, go w/these settings & after a few tanks - check mpg's to verify efficiency. If you want to increase mpg - turn Yellow down or off. Can also pull plugs (color) & check pipes for soot. Normally stock settings are pretty close, but like most of us you'll want to plat a bit w/the new toy. Enjoy & ride safe!

I agree with Ice except it's hard to get any color on the plugs even if it is excessively rich. The lead in fuels is what gave the color and the new fuels will only show color based on the additives that the company puts in them and not the mixture.

Iceman24,
There's no need to spend any more money to trade up to a GEN 3 EJK controller. For your application there will be no dramatic improved performance. The main difference is just the user interface for adjusting in your circumstance.

If someone else is doing it for you, go with the TFI, its cheaper. I went with the PCIII and it was plug and ride.

Sorry Ultra...Good, but this is such a contrary statement to how we market our products.

Our fuel controllers are sold as DIY (do-it-yourself) products. We would suggest to NYSDEUCERIDER to make his decision on the following questions:
1). How much do you want to spend?
2). How much more do you see yourself modifying the bike in the future?
3). Do you want to make your own adjustments or prefer a dealer to make all your tune-ups?

The TFI or our GEN 3 EJK controller is your product for the following answers:
1). You don't like to waste money.
2). Stage 1 to Stage 2 level mods. We can handle more, but beyond this gets complex.
3). Nothing is simpler than our products, but if depending on a dealer you should go with what they are comfortable with. Our job should be to educate the dealer at that point.

I would like to add to what is posted above.

If you know the reputation of the tech at the dealer and his skills and knowledge in dyno tuning with the PC units, then add to that the additional dyno costs which can run easily into the hundreds, more like 400+ then go with the PD unit but I can assure you also that having used the TFI extensively on many bikes, it's all that is needed unless you are running against the timing clocks and need to get every ounce of power from the motor.

The TFI is MORE than capable of giving you a great running bike for street driving for a lot less money.

Iceman24,
There's no need to spend any more money to trade up to a GEN 3 EJK controller. For your application there will be no dramatic improved performance. The main difference is just the user interface for adjusting in your circumstance.

Awesome - Thanks! Was wondering because I still had my bike tore-apart w/final mods & would've been great time to swap. Don't get me wrong - love my TFI & was only looking to improve an already great product from same company. Thanks for the response - time to button my bike up for riding!

Last edited:
Back