free website stats program New TFI install question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New TFI install question

Sorry Ultra...Good, but this is such a contrary statement to how we market our products.

Our fuel controllers are sold as DIY (do-it-yourself) products. We would suggest to NYSDEUCERIDER to make his decision on the following questions:
1). How much do you want to spend?
2). How much more do you see yourself modifying the bike in the future?
3). Do you want to make your own adjustments or prefer a dealer to make all your tune-ups?

The TFI or our GEN 3 EJK controller is your product for the following answers:
1). You don't like to waste money.
2). Stage 1 to Stage 2 level mods. We can handle more, but beyond this gets complex.
3). Nothing is simpler than our products, but if depending on a dealer you should go with what they are comfortable with. Our job should be to educate the dealer at that point.

Thank you for the personal note, and guiding questions. And Glider, thanks for jumping in too! Nice to have as much info as possible when making decisions like this.
Ride safe!

.. .. .. .... .
Glider, thanks for your help and happy birthday!

Well I'm am learning a lot about TFI just reading this thread. I've been saving for TTS but am always interesting learning more about others.

What glider had a birthday ? I'm guessing it's one of those BIGGER numbers that BUBBIE spoke of :lolrolling

I thought that an electronic fuel injection system is as "perfect" as it gets. It should be constantly re-adjusting fuel mix to get optimum performance. The ECM should be doing exactly what the TFI system is suppose to be doing.

So, I am at a loss here. Why would I need the TFI if the Harley ECM should make the engine run at optimum levels? What is the TFI doing that "improves" on what the ECM should be doing already?

I have a '08 FLSTC with the Stage 1 kit and Vance & Hines Big Shots exhaust. I bought the bike this way as a second owner. How will the TFI improve the performance of my ride with this setup?

I did read the information on their website and I am interested in the product but I question my need for it.

This should be answered by the Dobeck guy.

I thought that an electronic fuel injection system is as "perfect" as it gets. It should be constantly re-adjusting fuel mix to get optimum performance. The ECM should be doing exactly what the TFI system is suppose to be doing.

So, I am at a loss here. Why would I need the TFI if the Harley ECM should make the engine run at optimum levels? What is the TFI doing that "improves" on what the ECM should be doing already?

I have a '08 FLSTC with the Stage 1 kit and Vance & Hines Big Shots exhaust. I bought the bike this way as a second owner. How will the TFI improve the performance of my ride with this setup?

I am interested in the product but I question my need for it.

The ECM mapping in a stock bike or a bike that has had the dealer download is still running on the very lean side of the range because of the EPA regs. The TFI allows you to richen up the mixture a bit so the bike will pick up some HP and TQ as well as run a bit cooler too. It's all about the AFR of a bike as to how well it runs.

I did read the information on their website and I am interested in the product but I question my need for it.

If you go to TFI thread and ask away....(TFI Product Support) Dallas of Dobecks Performance WILL answer any questions and we can All Read them..

My answers come from YEARS of running HD's , Various early years and models of today,, along with Gasoline changes and EPA..

The EPA Only allows HD to use a LESSER Portion of the fuel NEEDED to keep a TC motor running...The Settings are CLOSE to Harming the engine
(way too lean).. HD's are set AS LEAN as the motor will opperate without having Immediate Problems..

If you put the stock bike on a dyno and check HD's fuel setting with needed setting, You will find that to be true.. Too Lean

What You and MANY call "runs just fine" as Many do,are just not Knowing how close to STARVE your engines are..
Lean is good for gas mileage and the EPA has cut HD back to TOO Lean...so the HD's will Pass the emissions testing.

If YOU feel your bike is fine Keep It There..

We who feel the NEED for a change do so and ONLY try to help others do the same.... I'm not wanting to debate MY Ways as they are My Ways..

I have NOT found one party who has changed to the TFI or another NEEDED fuler,, that Doesn't agree the bikes Ran Too Hot before and NOW runs Cooler and You Can FEEL the Better changes that adding fuel will do..

The stock HD DOES change the amount of fuel you are using but still in a Very Lean setting.. The TFI is a piggyback that give a Little More Fuel AROUND the HD's setting.... Hence Proper amount of fuel to run Cooler and just plain Better....

signed....BBUBBIE

Bikergeek -

Glider and Bubbie have already jumped in with good responses and we can verify again that their posts are accurate and the truth.

EFI systems do have the ability to self-adjust based on its sensor readings, but this is very limited in scope. The self adjusting is only to try and match the desired set OEM AFR for restriction purposes. None of this self-adjusting equates to performance or better drivability.

ok....I think I know what needs to be done but want to be sure. I just purchased vance & hines true duals and now what? Im putting them on myself, and as far as mods go, this is probably the most mods Ill be doing. I like the TFI, but is that all Im going to need? Air filter? Going to need some recommendations.....given that this will probably be the extent of my mods, got the pipes, now what?
Sorry if Im redundant or this was answered already, just want to be sure.
Thanks.

ok....I think I know what needs to be done but want to be sure. I just purchased vance & hines true duals and now what? Im putting them on myself, and as far as mods go, this is probably the most mods Ill be doing. I like the TFI, but is that all Im going to need? Air filter? Going to need some recommendations.....given that this will probably be the extent of my mods, got the pipes, now what?
Thanks.

If you want to go Full Stage One, Type in the Right top search box and look....
I would get something like a HD SE air unit.... SEE they see them..

Then you will be a full stage one..
Air------ SE air unit is about 125$ if i remember right..
Exhaust...... Your choice already
TFI --------------- Best Choice...

this is what MANY do and Warranty should NOT be any problem....

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks.

The vast majority here will tell you to go ahead and install a freer flowing air cleaner and be done with your Stage 1.

Back