free website stats program New Bike. Time for new helmet. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike. Time for new helmet.

Where are you getting your information from? post your sources that give DOT's guidelines and how they do their testing. I doubt there are many helmet manufacturers that overly exceed what the DOT requires.
There is a local lawyer here who routinely attends HOG events and that's part of his spiel.
Here's the actual reference that has the testing procedures. If I'm reading section S6.2.2 correctly, the testing is confined to the top of the helmet with nothing about side or front impact resistance, which is much more important. But, if they required that kind of testing, we wouldn't have clamshells. That's why I would recommend ensuring it has DOT sticker to make it easier to prove the helmet is legal, but not rely just on DOT certification to believe you have a safe helmet.

Where are you reading section S6.2.2? If the helmet has DOT affix to it it's a certified helmet.
I'd never buy one that didn't show the DOT sticker.

Last edited:
Where are you reading section S6.2.2? If the helmet has DOT affix to it it's a certified helmet.
I'd never buy one that didn't show the DOT sticker.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm saying get a DOT helmet but also get something with added safety features.
I'm reading that section in the link I posted in my previous reply

In post 22 the word " Here's " is in blue, click on it , that takes you to the reference Dan is talking about.

Back