free website stats program New Bike. Time for new helmet. | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike. Time for new helmet.

Casper52

It's time for a new helmet and I would appreciate some recommendations, especially with all the comm options out there now. I tend to like the flip face models, with removable, washable padding, but just cant do the $600 models. Thanks

For the money, I don't think you can beat the HJC-RPHA Max helmet. Every bit as quiet as the Shoei modular, just as light and very comfortable. Check it out.;) If $400 gives you pause, take a look at the HHC Symax 3; however, the RPHA, IMHO, is worth the additional cost.

I guess it depends on why one purchases a helmet. If purchasing to protect one's head, spend enough money to protect one's head. If buying to meet a helmet law and one believes that when it's time to get your ticket punched, wearing a helmet won't change that, then spend the least amount of money to meet the legal requirement. Personally, having gone down hard a few times in my younger days, I have been converted from no helmet to as much helmet as I need to protect my head; I believe in ATGATT.;)

I've got 3 helmets all from Leather up, all 3 are major brand names and DOT approved.
DOT would not approve a helmet that doesn't meet or exceed their requirements.

Last edited:
Maybe I got a weird head but I won't buy a helmet without being able to try it on first. Don't buy on line and If I see dealerships, accessory shops etc. that only have display helmets, I tell the sales person I want to try on one from the back. I have found that just because one helmet fits and feels good, the next exact same size / style often fits totally different. Kinda like shoes.

FWIW, DOT guidelines are around a drop test so they are pretty much useless unless something falls straight down on your head or you flip over and land head down. Neither or which are likely to happen. I would avoid any helmet that is just trying to meet that standard and has no other safety testing involved.

Back