free website stats program New Bike. Time for new helmet. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike. Time for new helmet.

FWIW, DOT guidelines are around a drop test so they are pretty much useless unless something falls straight down on your head or you flip over and land head down. Neither or which are likely to happen. I would avoid any helmet that is just trying to meet that standard and has no other safety testing involved.

Where are you getting your information from? post your sources that give DOT's guidelines and how they do their testing. I doubt there are many helmet manufacturers that overly exceed what the DOT requires.

Good read,
i'm relatively sure the DOT doesn't do a drop test and say good enough if it doesn't split in half. o_O

Last edited:
Good read, i'm relatively sure the DOT doesn't do a drop test and say good enough if it doesn't split in half. o_O

True that but there are some pretty shoddy DOT approved helmets; I will stick with helmets that meet both DOT and SNELL approval.;)

Helmet requirements on this side of the pond are totally different as they are designed to break apart and dissipate the energy of the impact and so reduce the brain damage working on the same principal as the crumple zones in cars
I currently wear a viper rs-v131 modular helmet with Bluetooth 4 built in I have my helmet paired with my phone and my wife's helmet and can open a live channel between the two helmets at any time effective range of about 300m but can be 900m in favourable conditions so I can open a channel at any time I want and close it again as could she but she does not want to know how to do it so raises her left arm straight up and I know she wants to speak I ignore the hand signal at my peril
Got current helmets at Scottish motorcycle show mar 2017 but previous incarnation of the same model usually replace helmets every 2 to 3 years as knocks and bumps can weaken the structure of the shell (design feature)

Brian

For the money, I don't think you can beat the HJC-RPHA Max helmet. Every bit as quiet as the Shoei modular, just as light and very comfortable. Check it out.;) If $400 gives you pause, take a look at the HHC Symax 3; however, the RPHA, IMHO, is worth the additional cost.
Thanks ! I think this one will do just fine !

For the money, I don't think you can beat the HJC-RPHA Max helmet. Every bit as quiet as the Shoei modular, just as light and very comfortable. Check it out.;) If $400 gives you pause, take a look at the HHC Symax 3; however, the RPHA, IMHO, is worth the additional cost.
Best I can figure, this model has been discontinued. Too bad cause it looks great. All I can find are some stragglers in XS!

Here is a brief but informative read on the different helmet standards. I prefer Snell approved helmets as they will typically meet DOT standards but a DOT approved helmet might not meet Snell standards.

http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

I prefer Snell rated helmets also. I also do track days so I make sure my equipment will protect me. I don't wear 1/2 helmets, full face only. Yep, I'm the guy on the Harley wearing sportbike protective gear. The reason, it does actually protect you.

Back