free website stats program My new 09 Street Glide | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My new 09 Street Glide

The bike is still doing great. I think I like it more every time I get on it. It rolled over the 1000mile mark this weekend. I am now at about 1100 miles. I tried out Pledge for a quick detail this weekend too. I am now a believer. I was shocked at how it made my bike shine. Not to mention it was lemony fresh when done. I also changed my windshield over to an 8in that I bought on Ebay. Made a huge difference in the wind buffeting. I like it alot. I think I will call the HD dealer this week and let them do the 1000 mile break-in just to save myself the headache of arguing over warranty issues if the need arises. Pics to come soon.

It's been posted many times that doing your own work or having an indy mechanic do it will NOT void the warranty in any way. Save all your receipts and keep a maintenence logbook. This is just dealer intimidation to scare you into having everything done on their premises.

So as long as I document everything I do and keep reciepts for my oil, I should not have a problem getting warranty work done?

I am still trying to decide what I should do about the TFI I installed. I have been questioning dealers in my area and all three that are within 1.5 hours from me say that the TFI will void my warranty. I read the link about the Magnuson-Moss thing and I understand that if I need warranty work done I can fight with them about. But, I just don't know if it's worth it. I am seriously considering just letting them do the stage 1 remap.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as long as I document everything I do and keep reciepts for my oil, I should not have a problem getting warranty work done?

I am still trying to decide what I should do about the TFI I installed. I have been questioning dealers in my area and all three that are within 1.5 hours from me say that the TFI will void my warranty. I read the link about the Magnuson-Moss thing and I understand that if I need warranty work done I can fight with them about. But, I just don't know if it's worth it. I am seriously considering just letting them do the stage 1 remap.

They have to be able to prove that whatever you did was directly responsible for the damage you're seeking warranty repair for. With all the aftermarket fuel controllers in use today, that would be tough to do unless you intentionally leaned it out beyond factory specs and damaged the engine. This, of course, is exactly the opposite of what everyone does.

Bottom line - it's your bike - do what makes YOU feel comfortable. If you can afford to have everything done by the dealer or you really do not enjoy doing any work by yourself, don't feel guilty about taking it to the dealer.

I really like doing the work myself. I did just get the service manuel, so I don't think I would have any problems. I am glad I got on here this morning. I believe I'll do it myself and keep the TFI. The bike is running great and I will know everything was done right if I do it myself. I am just gonna spend an hour checking everything over if I let the dealership do it anyway.

One question though. What are the "critical fastners" that are checked on the break-in service?

One question though. What are the "critical fastners" that are checked on the break-in service?

They are listed in your Service Manual. It really pays to pour yourself a large cup of java and read over anything you're planning to do several times. Often you'll have to cross reference a procedure into a separate section of the manual and you'll get much greater detail. Allow plenty of time for any service or mod you do yourself - last thing you want is to be rushing through a procedure. Also, it doesn't have to be done all in one sitting. More relaxing to do a few items and then walk away for awhile. Come back when you have some more time.

Thanks, I will do some educational reading tonight.

Ok, I did part 1 of my break-in service today. I basically changed all three oils. Amsoil 20W-50 in the engine and primary, and Amsoil 75W-110 in the tranny. 1500 miles on the bike now and still running like a dream. The Rush slip-ons seem to be getting a little louder. I am loving this bike. My wife is still not as comfortable on it as the Heritage, so I guess I still don't have the air right in my rear shocks. Any suggestions for what preasure to put in them would be appreciated. I weight 200lbs and she weighs about 125lbs. And here are somes pics finally.

Thanks, I'm still trying to upload pics. I think I have it this time.

Finally got pics posted. Next addition will be a new seat to make the wife more comfy. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Sundowner.

Attachments

• DSC_0428.jpg
    DSC_0428.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0429.jpg
    DSC_0429.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0427.jpg
    DSC_0427.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0430.jpg
    DSC_0430.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0426.jpg
    DSC_0426.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 70
Thanks, I'm still trying to upload pics. I think I have it this time.

Finally got pics posted. Next addition will be a new seat to make the wife more comfy. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Sundowner.

Nice paint job. Do you mind telling where it was done and how much? I bought a Sundowner for my '09 SG off ebay. It was just delivered yesterday and I didn't ride with it yet because of rain. But I am surprised at how bulky it is. I had a Sundowner on my '06 SG before I switched to a Corbin. The Sundowners for the '06s were smaller. But the Sundowner on the '06 was much more comfortable especially for my wife. You give up looks for comfort but it is a touring bike.

~eddie

Thanks Eddie, the paint job was on the bike new. It is from Harley-Davidson. It is in there limited series called Montezuma.You can see it better in the 2009 parts catalogue in the color shop section. I think I will go pick-up the Sundowner tomorrow and give it a try. I'll let everyone know what my wife the critic thinks.

Thanks Eddie, the paint job was on the bike new. It is from Harley-Davidson. It is in there limited series called Montezuma.You can see it better in the 2009 parts catalogue in the color shop section. I think I will go pick-up the Sundowner tomorrow and give it a try. I'll let everyone know what my wife the critic thinks.

I thought that paint design looked kind of familiar. I'll be riding on my Sundowner for the first time today. This weekend we will have temperatures in the 80s after having mostly days in the 50s so I'll have a chance to get some serious riding in to test the new seat.

eddie

Back