free website stats program My new 09 Street Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My new 09 Street Glide

I hope ya'll don't mind, but I have another question. I know that on carberated bikes, if the jets are not right, it will cause the pipes to blue. Is that from being too rich or lean. I guess it works the same with fuel injected bikes.? So, if I don't want blue pipes, should I set the TFI up a little rich or a little lean? I'm guessing RICH. But I don't know for sure.

The bluing on the pipes is something that you can't avoid. Adding fuel would tend to cool them off but they still blue and the added fuel isn't going to help the way the bike runs. Richer mixtures do not help max power at all.

I got 'er done. The bike is running great. I put about 80 miles on it Monday night. I filled it up about halfway through the ride, so I haven't checked the milage yet. I'll check it on the next ride and may have to make adjustments. I have also removed the heel shifter and put the shifter spline cover on it. I really like that too. That gave me a lot more freedom to move my left foot around. Thanks again for the help. I will continue to post as I add to the modifications and will post some pics soon.

Can you or someone in the group tell me the part # of the piece that replaces the heal/toe shifter with just a toe shifter unit, as you described? I'm wanting to go that route on my '08 FLHT.

Ride safe....Scott in IL

Thanks for the replies to my shifter shaft cover question. It doesn't look like a hard job. Will probably go with the HD chrome cover.

Scott in IL ('08 FLHT---The Mistress)

I used the cover from HD. Very simple. Just take out allen bolt from heel shifter. Slide cover on spline and tighten set screw. It takes all of two minutes.

I wonder if that little gem would fit on a Dyna mid-shifter shaft so you could install front controls and not either tear the primary off to remove the mid-shifter shaft or destroying it by hacksawing it off behind the inner primary? Would make it easy to revert back to mid controls should you decide you don't care for the forwards.

The bike is still running like a dream. I changed the stock shifter peg to one that matches the flooboards and brake pedal. I also got the break-in oil out of the engine and tranny today. I still had 5 quarts of Screamin Eagle left over from my Heritage. The SG has 640 miles on it. I put the SE oil in the engine this time around. I will be switching to Amsoil on the next change on. I went ahead with the Amsoil in the tranny( Severe Gear 75W-110). I only rode up the driveway, but I kept it in 1st gear and did not hear the whine anymore. We were planning on a all day ride today, but the rain has foiled our plans once again. Its hard to bring myself to ride a new bike in the rain.

The bike is still doing great. I think I like it more every time I get on it. It rolled over the 1000mile mark this weekend. I am now at about 1100 miles. I tried out Pledge for a quick detail this weekend too. I am now a believer. I was shocked at how it made my bike shine. Not to mention it was lemony fresh when done. I also changed my windshield over to an 8in that I bought on Ebay. Made a huge difference in the wind buffeting. I like it alot. I think I will call the HD dealer this week and let them do the 1000 mile break-in just to save myself the headache of arguing over warranty issues if the need arises. Pics to come soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back