free website stats program My new 09 Street Glide | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

My new 09 Street Glide

I had planned to ride mine to work today and go by HD on the way home to pick-up the seat, but it was flooding this morning. Tonight is supposed to be 60 and tomorrow sunny and 90 so I will definetly ride tomorrow. I have an 86 mile one way commute so its always nice to ride to work.

UPDATE I went to HD at lunch. After talking to the guys at the counter and looking at seats for about 40 minutes, I ended up getting the Reach Seat. I am mildly vertically challenged (about 5' 7") and we all agreed that the Reach may be a better fit for me. The padding for the passenger is about the same thickness and about an inch more narrow. I think wife will be happy! I'll let you know.

Put the seat on yesterday. My wife and myself rode for about 30 minutes. She loves it. She says it its VERY comfy. It is also more comfortable for me, not to mention I can now place both feet flat on the ground at red lights. We are very happy with the new seat. It does however take away from the looks of the bikw slightly. I will be keeping my stock seat for shorter solo rides. :newsmile108:

I continued on with the break-in service work Saturday night. I went on the HD web site and printed the service check-up for my bike at 1000 miles. I did all of the inspections and checks. I also adjusted the clutch and clutch cable per the thread here on easy clutch adjustment. Worked great! The only two tasks left now are changing the front fork oil and lubricating the steering head bearing. I just went down the list on the print-out and checked it all off 1 by 1. I will keep this with my receipts for the oil and filters. We also got a nice ride in yesterday, about 200 miles. The reach seat is great. Not one word of complaint from my wife. She is happy and finally likes the new bike. Thanks to everyone for the continued help and answers to my questions. This is a great site, its like having my own personal instructor whenever I get stuck with on a project on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to beat Glider when it comes to giving someone info. He's like the fastest gun in the west!:50:

I switched to the reach seat (I'm 5'3") which provides a more comfortable ride for me and a passenger (which would end up being me if we break down on the road!) The stock seat is NOT comfortable at all for me - I can't imagine being a passenger on that seat for more than 5 minutes!

I switched to the reach seat (I'm 5'3") which provides a more comfortable ride for me and a passenger (which would end up being me if we break down on the road!) The stock seat is NOT comfortable at all for me - I can't imagine being a passenger on that seat for more than 5 minutes!

My wife was threatening to not be the passenger, that's why I got the new seat. To keep her happy. A happy wife makes for a happy life. She likes the new seat and enjoys riding again. All I ever heard before I put it on is how much she wanted the Heritage back. Now, she likes the SG better.

Ya, funny how that works! My husband bought the Ultra with me in mind as a passenger and I ended up getting my motorcycle licence and have only been on the back of his 08 Ultra 4 times! Now that is one comfy seat but I'm more happy on my own ride!

I ended up getting the Reach Seat.

So you went with the reach seat instead of the Sundowner. We had several record breaking days in the 90s and I had an opportunity to put in quite a few miles on The Sundowner. It's much more comfortable. I can see myself easily doing 500 miles in comfort. When I first sat on it I was slightly disappointed because it moved me forward a bit. After a few hours of riding I got use to the new position and it didn't bother me anymore. It wasn't as easy a fit as the stock seat either. I really had to push it in hard to fit. Strangely some aftermarket seat makers have a different model seat for the 2009 bikes but Harley makes the same Sundowner seat for both the '08 and '09 bikes. I'm thinking maybe there is a slight difference in how it fits because of the differences in the frame. Maybe that's why I had to practically force it on.

~eddie

The reach seat went right on with no problem. I don't know if they make different models of the seat for pre- 09 or not. The guys at Savannah HD spent a little time with me helping me decide which one to get. The reach seat just fit me better because of my short legs.

Back