free website stats program My first Harley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My first Harley

Thanks for all the info. We are going to take our time so we don't have to ride too hard. This bike already has 4800 miles on it so break in won't be a problem. Thanks again.

Just bought my first Harley. 09 Heritage. I live in Iowa and the bike is in West Palm Beach Florida. My wife and I will fly down there on Thursday and ride it back. I have not ridden a bike in 18 years. One day my wife said "we should buy a Harley". To that I replied "well I guess I'll buy one if you are going to twist my arm":D This trip is going to be 1450 miles. I hope it isn't going to be to much for her, or me!

Wow! Can you get on a bike in the next couple of days just to clear out some of the cobwebs? Most HD Dealerships have rental programs, and two or three days of practice may make it a bit safer.

Having said that, I think the trailer idea above is a very good suggestion. Worth some careful consideration. 1,450 miles is about 4 days if you haven't been in the saddle for a while.

TQ

I would suggest taking some back roads the first few days until you get comfortable and confident. Those freeways can get a bit hectic if you aren't used to it. Be safe, good to have you back riding. By the way, does your wife have a sister?

Same deal went down at my house... except i bought new from the local dealer... I had not rode for 20 years... took at test drive and it came right back. When i picked it up my wife wanted on right away... I took about 100 mile ride myself and felt good to go. I did add passenger floor boards and a wider seat for her... She is good for about 300 miles then wants off for a while. Take your time... use the back roads... stay safe. Enjoy! By the way I bought an enclosed trailer so I sould travel further and enjoy the bike more when i get there.

Thanks for all the info. We are going to take our time so we don't have to ride too hard. This bike already has 4800 miles on it so break in won't be a problem. Thanks again.

I also wouldn't do this as my first ride in that long, but that's me and this is you. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Wear long sleeve shirts, sunscreen everywhere and stop and take lots of breaks. Walk around on your stops. I'd suggest the FL turnpike to get out of and away from the S. FL coastal congestion. When you start to relax and get the feel of being on the bike, be extra careful. You don't have the muscle memory yet for proper emergency maneuvers. FLorida rainstorms are usually severe, but short, pull over and wait for them to pass. Good luck, and SAFE riding.

I already got our plane tickets so this is a done deal. We plan to take 4 days and stop every hundred miles or so to sight see. Safety is a real concern of mine. I grew up on motorcycles but I have been out of the saddle for a long time. I know that overconfidence could be fatal on a bike. I plan avoiding traffic as much as possible. Thanks guys.

Good Luck, thats a lot of riding and hope Mother Nature works for you, that can kill a good day in the saddle:s

I already got our plane tickets so this is a done deal. We plan to take 4 days and stop every hundred miles or so to sight see. Safety is a real concern of mine. I grew up on motorcycles but I have been out of the saddle for a long time. I know that overconfidence could be fatal on a bike. I plan avoiding traffic as much as possible. Thanks guys.

Just remember to keep all movements smooth and steady...sudden stop, don't "jump" on the brakes, Squeeze & press firmly til you hear and feel the howl and road feel where the back end is getting a little light but may be skidding just a bit. :52:

Practice looking around the turn (with a grin on your face to keep your wife happy and at ease)...practice first without pillion (full loaded gear though) to learn to turn sharply bar to the stop, right and left...using a bit of rear brake, slipping clutch at friction zone and modulating the throttle to keep wheels moving at slow walking pace. Think smooth and steady and your confidence and comfort zone will increase dramatically in about a 1/2 hour, no more, do not want to ride fatigued. :s

Back