free website stats program My first Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

My first Harley

jlbeebe

Just bought my first Harley. 09 Heritage. I live in Iowa and the bike is in West Palm Beach Florida. My wife and I will fly down there on Thursday and ride it back. I have not ridden a bike in 18 years. One day my wife said "we should buy a Harley". To that I replied "well I guess I'll buy one if you are going to twist my arm":D This trip is going to be 1450 miles. I hope it isn't going to be to much for her, or me!

Sweet! Please be careful on your ride home,remember statistics show most bike accidents occur within the first six months of owning a new bike. By the way don't tell wife this! Have a safe and enjoyable ride.

Just bought my first Harley. 09 Heritage. I live in Iowa and the bike is in West Palm Beach Florida. My wife and I will fly down there on Thursday and ride it back. I have not ridden a bike in 18 years. One day my wife said "we should buy a Harley". To that I replied "well I guess I'll buy one if you are going to twist my arm":D This trip is going to be 1450 miles. I hope it isn't going to be to much for her, or me!

Congrats! You may want to go to the Stranded Biker Buster thread and download the spreadsheet, then contact (PM) some members who will be along your route and keep their phone number with you in case you need assistance. I hope you don't, but it's better to be safe than sorry, and nothing is more stressful than breaking down far from home.

Stranded Biker Buster - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Community

if its new dont forget motor breakin.. i say this because i have seen some 09s still on dealers floors ride safe.....

if its new dont forget motor breakin.. i say this because i have seen some 09s still on dealers floors ride safe.....

Iam with ultrat on this if it new the motor needs to be broke in and i dont think 1500 miles on the freeway at constant rpm range would be good for it. It kind of like breaking in new cams on a truck engine it needs range of diff rpms for a period of time or miles. Might want to check out the engine breakin in the self help section Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community
And congrats on the new sled.

Dave

Excellent choice of bikes if you ask me. If it is new it will be broke in when you get home. I wouldn't be concerned about not riding for awhile, it will all come back to you quickly. You never forget, just like riding a bike. 1450 miles will make a great trip, just take your time and enjoy.

Congratulations. I don't want to rain on your parade, but riding that far when you have not ridden for 18 years with your wife may be more than you want to take on. You could also turn your wife off to riding, and we don't want that. What about renting a trailer and getting your new Harley home where you can work back into riding gradually? Just a thought.

Back