free website stats program My Age rears up and hits me again | Harley Davidson Forums

My Age rears up and hits me again

robermv32

Drove 40 miles to the nearest HD dealer and walked in with a question for the kid at the service counter. Hey kid, have you ever heard of Harley Gunk ? " Harley what ? ", he said through eyes that didn't even have a single wrinkle around any part of them. I continued, "You know, that degreaser stuff Harley used to sell. It had a most distinctive aroma, remember ?" "Never heard of it." he said, but then continued.."wait, Bill's here and he's older than heck, maybe he's heard of it." ...

Lesson..... I'm older that heck too. ANYBODY OUT THERE REMEMBER THE SMELL OF HARLEY GUNK ?

Well I have used gunk cleaner and degreaser,still do,but I havent been around Harleys long enough to know that they marketed it with their name on it!:D

Here's the can

galhar.jpg

Yeah, and probably "banned" by the EPA or the like...I think many of the older degreasers had Trichloroethyelene or petroleum distillates that were pretty nasty, but found their way into the "secret sauce" ingredients of the time and probably are frowned upon...!

Save the can, it is a relic of the bygone 50's & 60's...bet you RichardS may have a can of the stuff too!! :bigsmiley20:

Oh, Hardee, Har, Har!!! :bigsmiley20:

If you DO happen to have an old can lying around, here's what it's worth, according to one auction:

HarleyGunkpintcan1.jpg

Harley-Davidson Gunk Motorcycle Cleaner one pint tin can, full, rated 9,
Amount: $175.00

RichardS, knew you would come thru and imagine that more than a "hunerd dollah"!!! :shock

I've still got a can of Gunk on a shelf down in the garage. Not Quite as old as the one pictured, and there's not a whole lot left of the original gallon.
My nose quit working years ago but, There's 2 distinctive smells I remember from my youth.
One is the smell of Gunk, and the other is Hoppe's No.9 Solvent.
They both bring back fond memories of days long past.

Yes I remember, wait, what were we talking about?:D

You might want to research and patent the fragrance, give a pervocitive name, who knows?

you are as old as you feel but with more experiences

Al

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

Back