free website stats program Makes you wonder...........? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Makes you wonder...........?

Yeah Helmets, shorts tank tops and flip flops:p

You know I always try to figure 'why' things happen. It was the insurance industry back in 1968 that got the Helmet law passed, which I surmised they figured it would save them on payoff amounts. Back then the required payoffs almost were morally correct so it could have saved them money.

But given 40 plus years of inflation and practically no raises in the required coverages the payoffs are not as much of a problem for the insurance companies. They are ridculously inadequate. And then a few years ago it was the insurance industry that got the helmet law repealed (or at least allowed it to happen).

I'm still not sure why they did this. Possibly because of the required health insurance clause they figured it might boost their health insurance sales.

Regardless of what type of bike you ride it's always a matter of HOW you ride it. I've seen guys on sport bikes and Harley's acting foolish. Beyond the bad riding what blows me away is what guys will wear when riding. As far as I'm concerned if you are wearing shorts and flip flops while riding your bike there is a problem.

What matters most is how they ride not what they wear. They ride like a jerk and crash that can effect bikers, cagers, and pedestrians. If they go down wearing shorts, flip flops, no shirts, and a skull cap....WHY SHOULD WE CARE?!

Their road rash won't effect my, why should I judge them for their decisions that CAN'T. Effect me, IMHO

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My pet peeve seems like a two-parter, but it's differing sides of the same coin.

Lots of guys put all of their money into bigger/powerful engines. Then use the same cheap tires, shocks and standard brakes. Yup, I did it too when I was young and on a budget.

Coupled with that is how they drive. Lots of them scream up to a stop sign and "over-drive" these brakes and then clamp them down way too late.

Even as they personally witness this, they over-drive their brakes in traffic. They follow too close, and cut in and out of wolf-packs using any opening to gain a few car lengths. I'm not sure one in twenty even bother to set themselves up utilizing the proper line through a curve by the way they cross center stripes.

In my state you have to take motorcycling classes to get a license, yet I see this every day.

Their road rash won't effect my, why should I judge them for their decisions that CAN'T. Effect me, IMHO

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I believe THEIR decisions will and does affect the rest of us. We all have to pay higher insurance prices -- we all have to abide by the new laws that are written due to their actions (not ours) and if bikes are ever outlawed because too many deaths or accidents - then WE ALSO will be banned from riding. Yes sir - their actions most definately affect the rest of us. Just my humble but accurate opinion.

Bill

About a month ago, Wife and I in the right lane, ready to take the right we wanted in about 2 or 3 blocks and this kid does a 2 block wheely through an intersection to boot. I bet he must have be approaching 60 mph. That was cool to me. Seems to me everything is against the law these days so what's the big whoop.

When it comes to stop light here's one to think about . I live in Ankeny Ia , 10 miles from Des Moines . The city decided to put in a couple red light cameras on some busy streets down town . The fine for running the red light is $50.00 . The 1st 2 weeks they were in operation they brought in $22,500.00 that calculates to 450 people running the red lights , there are signs warning of the cameras plus they had a month of warnings before issueing any tickets , so green light or not I'm always cautious go through a green light !

I've never been a shorts and flip flop kinda guy, so I don't have that temptation of freedom or whatever it's called. I'm a high boots and jeans kinda guy.

However for hot weather I just can't do the leather thing or a heavy enough long sleeve shirt to last against asphalt for more than 4 seconds. I guess everyone has their level of risk.

I have seen a guy wearing flip flops nearly loose a toe though in my teenage years riding on the back of motorcycle. They went over a series of dramatic bumps and almost thru them both off. But in the process he got his toe hung in the muffler pipe and it cut it all the way to the bone. They did sew it back on though. Bet he wore boots next time.

Back