free website stats program Lowering kit or lowering shocks | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering kit or lowering shocks

Well sir, I am going to do the shocks then. I have air in the front end also.
Whats the best way to go about that ? New legs and if so where can those be had for such an old bike ? I know when I changed the bars I had no luck finding replacement bars with air reserve . Also thx for the Help ! I dont know much but what I do know is to say I dont know !

Well sir, I am going to do the shocks then. I have air in the front end also.
Whats the best way to go about that ? New legs and if so where can those be had for such an old bike ? I know when I changed the bars I had no luck finding replacement bars with air reserve . Also thx for the Help ! I dont know much but what I do know is to say I dont know !

I went with the 12 inch rear shocks. It is alot stiffer of a ride but nothing to bad. Being able to plant both feet on the ground surely is worth the discomfort.

Good deal Cowjammer, there have been quite a few threads discussing the pros and cons of lowering bike.

If it is a safety or handling situation that demands lowering, it is an easy call...do it (better that then one day coming to a stop or on the road high centered and drop the bike...safe and sure handling is the bottom line.

If "slamming" it for looks, means lowering even further to the point that ridability is affected...and for all intents purposes is not to be ridden far. Probably not such a great idea, but then if bike is hauled around from show to show on a trailer, it may not be a problem either...

Had the dealer install a Burly slam kit when I bought my EG. The kit lowered the bike about 2 inches in the front almost 2.5 inches in rear. Insalled a reach seat that dropped me about another two inches overall I know sit 4.5 inches lower than stock. I have yet to scrap floorboards or have the wheel touch the fender and I ride two up a lot.
There is one problem though, you must keep the the front wheel pointed left when you park the bike, if not the bike will tip over. I have been looking for a shorter kickstand but no one seems to make one. At this point it looks as though I am going to have to cut and weld the kickstand that is now on the bike now.

I lowered the rear of my FXR with Progressive shocks. Never hurt the ride or handling a bit. Stance looks much better & feet are planted better when stopped.

The bike I'm getting in a couple weeks, 92 FXRT, will come with regular and air rear shocks. My inclination is to install the air shocks back on the bike. I'm 5'9" and my friend I'm buying the bike from mentioned I might want to lower it a bit. ( he's taller than me ) What suggestions might you guys have. ? Would a heavier oil, like WILSYLB, used be helpful. ?

Just put the lower shocks on my wife's 07 UC CVO yesterday. Very easy, straightforward installation. The shocks do make the seat height almost an inch lower. I waited until my local dealer had his Christmas sale this year and he had 30% off, so the shocks were very reasonable (less than $200 including tax). She hasn't ridden it yet to be able to tell any difference in ride quality, but the lowered seat height is already a confidence booster for her.

Back