free website stats program Low Rusting BIke Option | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Low Rusting BIke Option

Thanks Joy.

I'm test riding a Suzuki Bandit on Wednesday which has good spec and all the panniers and box etc. It'll be a good functional workhorse if I like it and buy it.

My Harley - I'll ride for love back home :D

That is one option, adding a "Beater" to your stable...but that would be giving in to something less. :small3d015:

Another is of course "modifying the living quarters" like Gunslinger did for something a little more...okay, a lot more! :lero

IMG_7871-1.jpg

Of course, you MIGHT have a small problem clearing it with the missus! :lolrolling

Last edited:
Gunslinger's bike den is the stuff of dreams for us all :D. Problem is if you had a place like that to play in - you'd just never going to go to work !

I have a Dowco cover and my bike takes rain everyday(Costa Rica) 2006 fatboy no rust on it just clean it once in a while.:)

Hi Guys,

Not sure if any of you can give me a lead on this one: I work away from home about 5 days a fortnight (a plane trip by the way not rideable or driveable). Since falling back in love with a motorbike after a long long time apart - I'm totally hooked. I use my Sporty for every need and excuse I can think of :D. Planning on a bigger addition to the garage next year - currently test-riding my way through the local dealers stable :D.

I have a small house at my away-from-home base which does not have a garage or shed - now I really want to have a bike for when I'm there as well but as it's going to have to be kept outdoors (under a cover) most of the time - I don't want to pay big bucks for a beautiful HD to go to rust and ruin.

Can anyone advise me which bike/brand I should look at for optimum outdoor (we get plenty rain any time of the year) survival. I know of course any steel component unless it's galvanized will suffer corrosion/rust - I'm realistic. This won't be a big investment machine by any means - just (hopefully) a rot-resistant ride for work which can also give a bit of fun. Maybe it's just nonsense that Harleys attract rust more than many other makes - I just don't know...

Thanks for any and all opinions.
go buy a kaw KLR 650. You`ll end buying a 2nd for the main home.

go buy a kaw KLR 650. You`ll end buying a 2nd for the main home.

I bought a 1250 Suzuki Bandit. Loads of baggage storage and a fast manoeverable bike with all the character of a bottle of water compared to my Sporty. BUT it'll be a very useful tool and I'll keep it covered and I'll keep saving my pennies for a bigger HD for home base next year :D I tried the Heritage and the RK both of which are beautiful rides with the RK edging it IMO.

Thanks everyone for all the imput in this decision. Appreciate it :s

Good deal CB, I was just joking, I loved having two bikes with 2 different purposes, and mine was a Suzuki Katana as well. Suzuki as your daily commuter and HD for those longer "personal" rides...just plain works and makes sense...

Good deal CB, I was just joking, I loved having two bikes with 2 different purposes, and mine was a Suzuki Katana as well. Suzuki as your daily commuter and HD for those longer "personal" rides...just plain works and makes sense...

I think you work one of those Vulcan mind melds NHD! We're always on the same page of the book :D:D. I got the Bandit at a very good price (a bit of haggling :s) and I pick it up tomorrow. Then I ride straight home, change and jump on the Sporty and get my fenders over to the HD dealership for their 4th July First Birthday party - gonna be a bash and I'm just hoping the sun keeps shining. Ride safe :D

Back