free website stats program Low Rusting BIke Option | Harley Davidson Forums

Low Rusting BIke Option

cedarbrook63

Hi Guys,

Not sure if any of you can give me a lead on this one: I work away from home about 5 days a fortnight (a plane trip by the way not rideable or driveable). Since falling back in love with a motorbike after a long long time apart - I'm totally hooked. I use my Sporty for every need and excuse I can think of :D. Planning on a bigger addition to the garage next year - currently test-riding my way through the local dealers stable :D.

I have a small house at my away-from-home base which does not have a garage or shed - now I really want to have a bike for when I'm there as well but as it's going to have to be kept outdoors (under a cover) most of the time - I don't want to pay big bucks for a beautiful HD to go to rust and ruin.

Can anyone advise me which bike/brand I should look at for optimum outdoor (we get plenty rain any time of the year) survival. I know of course any steel component unless it's galvanized will suffer corrosion/rust - I'm realistic. This won't be a big investment machine by any means - just (hopefully) a rot-resistant ride for work which can also give a bit of fun. Maybe it's just nonsense that Harleys attract rust more than many other makes - I just don't know...

Thanks for any and all opinions.

How about a tool shed that is available at places like Lowes or Home Depot? They come in all sizes and don't take any more room than the room needed to park the bike . Even something like a bike barn that is made to do this but I think the shed would stand up to the weather better.

yardsaver350.jpg

Last edited:
I really would have to 2nd Gliders idea. Not only keep it out of the weather, but harder for anyone to tamper with.

Best bang for the buck would be another sporty.You already know the bike,if you find an older one cheep you realy wont mind a rust spec here or there.
As for storing it, an oversized front/back door and a make shift ramp would allow you to put it in the house when youre not there.

How about a tool shed that is available at places like Lowes or Home Depot? They come in all sizes and don't take any more room than the room needed to park the bike . Even something like a bike barn that is made to do this but I think the shed would stand up to the weather better.

I have friends in France who built a small shed kit that you can get only in Europe. I have an 8" W x 10' L x 6' H that "sits outside", concrete driveway w/ no floor so you can roll 'er in without drama (I do back 'er in though). You can get a solar powered, battery backed up light inside and have one AC outlet for your battery tender and "stuff" as a minimum. You can insulate it if you want to keep more constant temp and keeps condensation down, but I have not had any problem as is.

Thank you one and all for your suggestions. Unfortunately the little house is what we call "mid-terrace" over here with an adjoining house either side and it shares common frontage and rears so no scope/permission for putting up my own shed although it would of course be the way to go. Guess I'll look for an older ride which I can allow to get a bit of the "weathered" look. I'll keep it under a good Oxford storm cover when I'm here and it'll be parked inside a multi-story carpark at the airport for much of the time so it'll be out of the weather quite a bit.:D

I may just buy something Japanese and then my heart won't ache if I see some rust appearing :rofl. Maybe like Lew suggested we have become a bit precious about our bikes nowadays - but the only time my Harley will be sleeping outdoors is when I'm with it :D. Otherwise it goes in the garage....

Thanks again guys. Enjoy your weekends and ride safe.

A liberal coating of WD40 on the parts that rust when not being used will go a long way to inhibit the rust.

Back