free website stats program Longest trip | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Longest trip

For a bloke who's never ridden in the States but has it very much on the list - is Sturgis worth making the effort to get to?

I've seen a bit about it on TV and read some and it must be awesome to see so many bikes in one place. Some of it wouldn't be my scene - I have to put my cards on the table and say that burning the life and soul out of your back tire just to make pollution, noise and smoke doesn't float my boat but that's JMHO and thank goodness it's still a free country you've got there.

So is it something that everyone who loves motorbikes - especially HD - should do at least once? Are there any other big bike meets or events that you guys rate more?

Looking forward to reading some opinions:D,

I reccommend flying into Chicago, renting bikes and riding to Sturgis. If you can, try to travel a few days before the event so that you can enjoy the roads around Sturgis before the crowd gets there. You don't have to drink to have a good time in Sturgis, the riding and the climate will wear you out without the drinking. Try staying in one of the campgrounds, most offer small cabins if you can't bring your camping gear. Remember to stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water. If your vacation days will allow, one of the best rides is the Beartooth highway out of Red Lodge Montana into Yellowstone, but any of the rides out of Sturgis will give you something to talk about for years to come.

Went on my first real "long ride" earlier this year when I went to Sturgis. 4,250.00 mile round-trip. The longest trip before that was about 500 miles. Keep those wheels turning.

Jimbo.....How did u find going from 500 to over 4000 miles?

BuzzCap7

My wife and I hit the road last August for a week trip. Total was 776 miles. Maybe not very long for most of you but it was our first time out other than local rides. We had a great time and we are looking to do a little more next summer. one to two hours is all she can take on the back without at lest a half hour break. She keeps looking at those Ultra seats! Perhaps a more comfortable seat might be the next change for the King.

Last year 4 of us rode from Tampa up to Myrtle Beach for the rally. Just under 1400 miles round trip over 7 days. Most of the riding was the first 2 days and the last 2 days. It was a great time, but you've got to be prepared to have only 2 wheels for a week. Next year I'm planning to ride to Arkansas to Bikes,Blues and BBQ. in late Sept. Should be about 2500 miles round trip.
Can't wait...

Sturgis should be big this year (2010 - 70th) due to it being an anniversary year. Numbers were down this year I think due to the economy.There are hundreds of choices for day rides in the surrounding area from challenging to extremely scenic.

The wife and I wanted to get out of town during the Sturgis Rally. We rode from Rapid City to Ogden, UT (900) miles. We dropped down into Northern Colorado and rode West through the mountains. Got up early the next morning and put on about 450 miles cruising the mountains and then rode home on Sunday. Coming home we jumped on the interstate and rode through Wyoming. 3 day trip was just over 2100 miles. Love my Ultra Classic & HogTunes stereo.

Back