free website stats program Longest trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Longest trip

cuznjed

Well I am by no means trying to say I am salty, but I just got back from a 4 day trip from Pearce Arizona to Lees Summit Missouri. I really learned alot and I got the pleasure of fighting some of those storms that rolled through. Two days and all I traveled was 500 miles, lot of snow and rain. Totall trip was about 1400 hundred miles. Nothing compared to you guys that have been riding for a long time. Well anyways cant wait untill next summer and maybe plan a better trip. Be safe everyone and take care!!
:cheers

Hey Cuz...no problem, being out and about is a very good thing and certainly 500 miles or 1000 miles is still a mighty fine "sortie". Certainly anyone who has gone on more than a couple day trip can appreciate it and that is still quite an accomplishment. I went for just 100 mile ride, problem was the highway I was on was "freshly" restored "so to speak", the tar snakes, pushed back rockslides and major cracks diagonally accross the roadway made me very happy Coline was not on the bike...my Sporty felt like a flat tracker out there. It was once one of my favorite rides where I really got a chance to go close to "the Pace, and heel 'er way over..." only 40 mph or so that day!

Went on my first real "long ride" earlier this year when I went to Sturgis. 4,250.00 mile round-trip. The longest trip before that was about 500 miles. Keep those wheels turning.

For a bloke who's never ridden in the States but has it very much on the list - is Sturgis worth making the effort to get to?

I've seen a bit about it on TV and read some and it must be awesome to see so many bikes in one place. Some of it wouldn't be my scene - I have to put my cards on the table and say that burning the life and soul out of your back tire just to make pollution, noise and smoke doesn't float my boat but that's JMHO and thank goodness it's still a free country you've got there.

So is it something that everyone who loves motorbikes - especially HD - should do at least once? Are there any other big bike meets or events that you guys rate more?

Looking forward to reading some opinions:D,

I agree with jaceddie
Any ride you enjoy & make it back safe is a good ride. I think we all learn something every time we go for a trip.

Cedarbrook63, here are some bike pictures for you from Sturgis '09. Hope they come out, it's my first time posting photos.

Attachments

• P1000802.jpg
    P1000802.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P1000848.jpg
    P1000848.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 62
  • P1000853.jpg
    P1000853.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 59
  • P1000854.jpg
    P1000854.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 59
Jim, looks like you had a nice time and as Cedarbrook says it looks like quite an event looking at all the bikes all in one place. Being new to a Harley has certainly "raised" the bar on places to go on my personal bucket list. BTW did you go to the Ventura HD website and see the videos...I actually was in one of the showroom pan shots, talking to a lady who was interested in a Sporty...I think she will be a future convert as well...:D

A year and a half ago, HD events were not even on my radar screen. Seriously, I still cannot believe in my 25 years in motocycling that I missed so much, coming from the metric sportbike competition racing side of the motorcycle world. And yes, as Smitty once said, metric riders do have a list of 50 reasons why not to own a Harley...never paid it no mind, but did not promote their attributes either. :no

I feel a little a bit guilty for lukewarm feelings years earlier to the world of V-Twins, certainly all my experiences were positive, just did not act on them 'til I owned one. From my first visit to HDT my warm feelings for HD riders and enthusiasts has never wavered...riding an HD is a life changing experience to be sure.:)

Nicely put NHD as always and great photos Jim - they give a great sense of the size of the event, I'm going to get there within the next few years just to see motorbiking on a really grand scale.

Back