free website stats program Is Fatboy Good Bike for 1st Timers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Fatboy Good Bike for 1st Timers

I was in your situation 3 years ago and a friend gave me what turn out to be very good advice. if you wanna ride more than 40 miles and your not 19 you might as well go for a heavy wieght, road king, street glide, road glide, electra glide, etc. I bought a 07 rk classic and have put 30,000 miles on it. you will get use to the bike, it's just a little different handling the wieght. Remember it's not about brawn and strenght it's all about balance and finness. I think the thing about the turbulence and the fat boy has something to with the solid wheels, more sail area more affect.

I own a Fatboy with solid wheels. There is no more turbelance than any other bike that I have ridden. My daughter's first bike is a 2005 Fatboy and my wife rides a Fatboy and she is a little thing. IMO Fatboys and Softails are very easy to balance and ride well. My wife says the Fatboy rides and handles better than both her sportster or dyna did. But, like Glider said; as a first bike it depends on you.

I just got my first motorcycle, a 2006 screamin eagle fat boy. A lot of people told me that its a lot of bike for a newbie but I think its ok as long as you take the time to really learn how the bike handles. I've rented a heritage once and ridden an Enfiled 350 cc in India a few times. But I think you shouldn't have any problems. I just ride slow and am extra careful...I also be sure to let any tailgaters pass me. You should be fine.

Take the MSF ridder course also. Rode bikes all through highschool, then quit for 20 plus years. Took the MSF beginner course, learned a lot of stuff that might just save my life. Best thing I did before restarting ridding. now I take the advanced course about every 2 years or so. Learned a lot of stuff there also. safe ridding to all.

Good on you for taking the MSF course before getting back in the seat. FB is a good choice b/c they're low profile & very comfortable riding position. Don't know why anyone would think they'd handle different that others when around big rigs??? I'd say take one for a spin & see how she rides.

My first bike was a Fatboy and took my driver test on it, no problems. As long as you're comfortable with the size, shouldn't be a problem.
WAP.gif

friend has one loves it its # 2 actually. they are not that much lighter than my rk or a newer dyna super glide is a little over 7 hunred pounds rk is like 750 pounds imo go the bigger bikes fat boy rk heritage all good chioces, test ride see what u like

I first started to ride with my 97 heritage. My father inlaw was overly nervous about me riding it because he said "it's alot of bike"(the bike used to be his). My logic is if you learn to drive in a cavalier and jump into a corvette then yes it will be an overload of the senses and a major adjustment, but if you start in a corvette and then jump into cavalier then you will be bored out of your mind (no offense to those of you with cavaliers just trying to make a point). Start big and everything smaller it is a breeze.

Let's face it. Its all about whether or not the bike FITS the rider. With the MSF course and plenty of practice a 90lb gal can ride a Ultra. Make it fit and enjoy the ride. Fatboys are awesome. My wife has two if you count me.
WAP.gif

I think you should be ok with the experience you had plus taking the MSC. The turbulence problem can be helped if you change out the solid wheel on the bike. The bike is heavier but not so much that it should be an issue unless you are very weak. You should ride the bike first to see if you will like it anyway and if you do maybe go to an empty parking lot to get use to the bike.

I Put on a fat boy wheel I hate those spokes breaking and poking a hole in the tube and costing a fortune to fix at the stealerships, I Can not tell the differance in the solid wheel vs the spoke other than there is no spokes to poke holes in your tubes!

Am 65. My first and only bike was a Road King . I had no idea i would ever own a motorcycle, but i had retired and thought ok what now. Was at a Vietnam Vet reunion waitin on some of the guys and 3 come ridin up on Black Harley and lil light bulb goes off and after talkin to the guys the next 3 days they told me biggest mistakes everyone makes is go too small. If you wanna tour. Which that what i wanted to do. That why i went with a road King and 56,000 miles later its still the best thing i ever done. So be sure and decide what your intentions are and buy what suits ya for the type of ridin ya wanna do.

Back