free website stats program Is Fatboy Good Bike for 1st Timers | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Fatboy Good Bike for 1st Timers

ride a few other models too 1st !

in a heavy cross wind those solid wheels are not too friendly! Plus its a Softail! I like 40 spoke wire wheels myself! Are you buying New? or Used? Whats your Price Range$ ! If your buying Used go Ride a Road King....The Glide frames ride so much better then the other models ! If your planning on riding 2 up or going cross country on Long Trips go with the Big Boy Bike and get a Glide! There is no such thing as a Bad Harley! As Long as it's the right one for what your going to use it for!

Welcome to the board!
I would recommend is renting various models to see what you like.
Some things are hard to figure out on a short ride from a MOCO when they come around to the dealers.
Spending two days riding a particular model obviously will give you a better picture. The first day is you getting used to it, especially if you haven't ridden for some time. The second day, you have some familiarity and can explore the machine a bit more.

Ride 200 miles with no back rest and no fairing/windshield, like on my wife's dyna and see how tired you feel (I really understand the comfort of my ultra at that point. Or try a touring model in the heat of summer on a really short trip. (Where I really appreciate not having a fairing).

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong on a HD of any model. But if you want to try an get the "perfect bike for you", the more you understand and experience, the better choice you can make. Just be aware that you will likely want to have multiple models in your "stable" just because different is really fun!!!:s

Hello,
I know this thread gets posted over and over again, but.. Anyways, i've ridden for 7 years where my motorcycle was my only source of transportation. I had to drove thru rain, snow, dust storms, etc. plus dropped a few times and had an accident during those 7 straight years. Anyways, it's now been 20 years since i've last rode. I just finished with my MSC and found out it was like getting on a bicycle again.. I now want a 2004 Fatboy but I've read that they were terrible first bikes, plus not good for long cruises, "short yes"! and when it comes to 18 wheelers the turbulence is a nightmare. I've read that the weight of the bike can be problems on turns and braking. Are these myths or just haters? My question; with my past experience, you think buying a Fatboy make sense?

Does a 10 pound bag of flour make a big biscuit? :p

I run with a 2007 fatboy, it's been 35 years since I drove a motorcycle. My last was a 76 sporty. Quite a difference in bikes, no doubt. Have to be careful with any bike. I find my fatboy centers as good as any. I have ridden most. The full alloy wheels don't seem to make a huge difference as far as wind or if a semi goes by you. You feel the extra wind on all bikes when this happens. Windshields are nice. They are a heavy bike and you have to pay attention to thier ways. One of the better cruisers. Nice low balance..

My Fatty blows around a little in heavy winds 'cause of the solid wheels, but it's more annoying than anything;no problem to handle.

Fatboy was my first bike, just traded it for an ultra because the ole lady was riding with me more, now she is taking the riders edge class and I am kanda sad I dont have the fatboy now.

Back