free website stats program Interesting experience at the parts counter | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Interesting experience at the parts counter

My all time favorite dealer saying is "If you don't buy it someone else will" that sums up the attitude of many of them. Not all as I have had positive experiences especially while traveling.

You can save some serious coin when you buy over the internet as Jammr found out using Zanotti's. Most places will offer free shipping if the total prices exceeds a set amount.

No need to be at the mercy of the local dealer that doesn't want to offer a discount.:D

We have three dealers all within 25 miles of each other. A friend was at one for an open house and noticed a bike parked outisde with the headlight on and keys in the ignition. She turned off the key to kill the headlight and went into the dealer to ask them to make a page that someone left their keys in the ignition. When the dealer ask her what type of bike it was and she said a Honda XX he said he would not make the page because it was a Honda and walked away. No wonder his business is down with an attitude like that.

I have several post telling everyone that gets close to Gainesville Fl to stop at Gainesville Harley right off I-75. Last week I thought the sender unit on my oil temp had gone south. It's an aftermarket unit and is no longer avail. Ordered the Harley kit and they said they would give me a call when it came in. Three day later I found the problem and repaired it. Went in to the dealer and said since I ordered it I would pay for it. They said since I didn't need it I did not have to pay. How many dealers refuse to take money that is offered? Gainesville Harley---Gotta love em!!!

I've been amazed that my experience is not uncommon at all. I was back up at the dealer to pick up a filter and the parts guy remembered me and asked if I was still interested in the items that I had pulled off the shelf. I told him no and that I had already bought them and was waiting for everything to come in. I was taken when he asked which dealer. I said none local, I bought from an online dealer. He didn't say anything else other than Oh, and walked away.

I hate not supporting the local economy, but I doubt I will every buy anything from a dealer unless it is an immediate need or a t-shirt..

I'm a web man now.

In my opinion that was a dumb move by the counter guy. I would bet their cost on parts is 60% of list. They still would have made a handsome profit and you most likely would be coming back for more. A mistake on his part that will affect everyone who works there. In times like this I would have carried them out to your car for you.

60% ?? probably less than that.... I doubt on most items there cost is half of list. He could have gotten a 30% discount and they still would have made money...

Walked into a local dealership... armed with a sheet of paper, listing item, part number, and MSRP from the HD web site. item after item was marked 10-20% over MSRP.... yeah I know the "S" means suggested... but over MSRP on parts?
Fellow I know who thinks that dealership can do no wrong, told me, to join the local HOG chapter, and get 15% off....I figure I'll just shop elsewhere.

I understand they are in business to make money, and I do not work for free, either. but there are enough dealerships around, and indy shops that I can get most of what I need elsewhere. Or wait until the order is worth it (to me) to order from Zanotti or Chicago

My dealer experience has been good and bad in Chambersburg, PA. Once i went there trying on coats. Found one i liked on ebay alot cheaper, asked if they would match that to make a sale. No was the answer, I said see you later then.

Another time I went looking for just a 20 dollar set of rocker cover hot toppers. Pondered buying them for 5 seconds and he offered them for 15.. I said sign me up. I guess it depends on their moods sometimes..

I did not buy my bike there. They NEVER had a duece when i went to look for one..ended up buying a used one online hahah...

online is the way to go for me usually..but i do give the dealer a chance sometimes..

Back