free website stats program Interesting experience at the parts counter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Interesting experience at the parts counter

I'm lucky to have a dealer close by that also gives 10 % off. The best part! They are reall nice people too. Baxter's in Bidwell Ohio.

When i go in to local dealer on a sale day 15% off. I have said you are busy today i have come in on non sales days not busy at all told sales staff you could be busy all the time if you had 15%- 20% every day they look at me like I'm speaking latin..

Must be a training class moco dealers have to go to. Friend went to a local dealer that she bought her sporty from 10 months ago new and wanted to upgrade, the snotty little slaes boy came out and told her that her bike was worth half of what the paid for it 10 months ago on a new Road King. and that if she wanted more for it to put it on Craigslist.

She should have asked about the FULL purchase price back on a trade up that the dealers are offering.:D

Hearing these stories makes my thankfull for my dealer. I didn't buy my bike from them but they treat me like I have bought 10 bikes from them. they are a great bunch of people. On your trips south if you are coming through Georgia on I-75 I would recommend stopping in. They are right beside I-75 in Tifton GA.

I am not saying that money is no object but it's not really the absolute value of the discount that I receive (10%). It's the lack of respect you get when you purchase items at SOME dealerships. Even if you Never set foot in that dealership before and your not in the system, how hard would it have been to say "Sure I will give you 10% off. Your a Good Customer and we appreciate your business." That's it, just 10 seconds and 10 percent and the guy will probably come back and maybe even tell a friend. Was that so hard. Some sales people just can't think on their feet.

Some of these dealerships do have a chip on their shoulder. It's their way or the highway. They think we are over a barrel but we are not. Customers will find a better way.

One has to wonder, what was the parts guy thinking? If they are not in his system, he should have thought NEW CUSTOMER make them feel welcome especially if they are adding up a lot of sales during these hard time.

Have to say similar experience happened to me at my dealership...asked the parts guy about tires, and he just said ask service...WAIT aren't they the parts dealer side and should try to sell me their tire? Well it turns out, the two Sales and Repair are two different departments that co-exist but do not share information or link to try to "make the sale" silly.

In this age don't they know that each department is a "profit center" and ultimately "customer service" is the LINK? Sadly, the Repair department said get a tire and we'll schedule appointment and put it on for about $75 done. But did not even promote Parts department, or sell them up...

I think given the economy and the path the US is currently on, many of these dealerships will close. Probably lose some of the good one's as well as the bad ones. Those that survive are very likely going to be aware of how important customer service is in return business.

With the added power of the internet, shining a light on continual bad service at a few dealerships, things can change quickly.

I think about my recent purchase of the headlamps from German AutoParts. That shop is probably doing a nice uptick, just because of this site alone...
Terrific service.

Thanks for sharing Scrounger. Good info to know.

In this age don't they know that each department is a "profit center" and ultimately "customer service" is the LINK? Sadly, the Repair department said get a tire and we'll schedule appointment and put it on for about $75 done. But did not even promote Parts department, or sell them up...

Come on!Customer service and Motorcycle shops is an OXYMORON!(i know you're not that naive,it's just your phraseology invites that response)

Basically,the Motorcycle industry has no idea of customer service and going that little bit further to ensure a good relationship with the suckers(oops;should have said BUYERS)that purchase their products is an anathema to them and such an Alien concept that it's never considered.-you should be flattered that we're even considering selling you a bike.

I have ALWAYS received better treatment at Car dealerships and Service departments;despite ALWAYS having a car to trade in;whilst EVERY bike i've ever bought has been cash: with no trade.

There ARE exceptions, but aren't they rare!

Biscuit, I think I did phrase it a bit wrong, it is the customer "awaiting" service that links the two...kind of like when you go into a bar, there are the servers, the bartender and both are waiting to serve you, it is a tag team that is "supposed" work togther to keep you "watered" and hopefully not on the well drinks or bottled beer (not as big a margin), but the mixed drinks with addons...that is what I meant. Their version of customer service is actually a form of "customer dis-service", with tips and bonus being their incentive...to getting patrons to part with as much cash as possible from both profit centers "working the crowd". That does not include giving incentives or discounts unless the patron chooses to gamble against the house "and double down" for potentially double or triple the level of participation. Clear now? LOL :cheers

Last edited:
We have one local dealer in my area. I have noticed since you can pretty much ride almost year round here that people are willing to pay the price for what they want. Dealer knows this and if you try to make a half way decent deal for both parties they can wait for the next customer and get their money. I guess if you know you can make more money then its a business decision. I will say they do have great service personnel willing to help out with your purchases just very few sales or percentages off the MSRP. I have found buying off the internet you save a tremendous amount of money. Wish I could buy locally but the price is not right.

Back