free website stats program Idle Air Control (IAC) | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle Air Control (IAC)

Could a dirty Idle Control Cause the bike to back fire, not decel pop, but gunshot db level back fire?

The reason I ask this question is. My brother recently purchased a 2006 Road Glide FI, super clean with 4500 miles.

He has to let the bike warm up or it before it will run right. He said it almost cuts out if not. After researching this FANTASTIC site, it brought me to this thread.

It has decel pop. But also when I was following him down an off ramp slowing down. It backfired LOUD. He said it has none it more then once.

He is taking to the dealer this weekend (under a 60day all covered warranty).

The bike has stage one with Rinehart exhaust (not just slip ons)

Thanks

Jonas,

Have your brother check to see if he has the old style fuel injectors. There was a production change in 06. My Ultra would not run correctly when cold it would stall and backfire through the intake although exhaust was stock at that time. Even though mine was out of warranty it had less than 1,000 miles at time of service and the MoCo fix it for free!

You will find more information in the self help area.

Jonas,

Have your brother check to see if he has the old style fuel injectors. There was a production change in 06. My Ultra would not run correctly when cold it would stall and backfire through the intake although exhaust was stock at that time. Even though mine was out of warranty it had less than 1,000 miles at time of service and the MoCo fix it for free!

Fuel Inj. Calibration Change For 06 (CVO Injectors) - Harley Davidson Community

Jonas,

Wow. Great piece of information right there. You sure could chase your tail before finding that one.

Jonas,

THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE PROBLEM!!!!! THANKS My brother lives in Killingworth,CT by the way.

He took the bike to the dealer yesterday.

They changed the spark plugs and Service Manger told him Rineheart Exhausts backfire even through the intake.

My brother told them he did not think that was the problem and did not want have to come back. He ask to see the plugs. So they brought them out. They did not look bad, but like the bike was running a little lean. He now was talking to the tech that worked on his bike. The tech said they could install the "Race Tune" to richen it up a little, but it would cost. My brother informed him he had just purchased the bike from them and just wanted it to run right. They installed the Race Tune no cost.

FYI-The tech did check for intake leaks with carb cleaner.

The bike did have the Stage One download.

My brother said it seemed better, but not miraclous fix. He said it popped through the intake not more then a couple miles after he left the dealer. And still ran rough when cold.

I think this info on injectors may REALLY cure his problem. Many Thanks!!!!

Mr. Data thanks for the link to the Service Bulletin it will be nice for him to have that in hand.

They changed the spark plugs and Service Manger told him Rineheart Exhausts backfire even through the intake.
:lolrolling Good one!

Maybe if it was running lean with the dealer download and no other fuel enhancements. Remember that the dealer downloads are for the SE parts and any other parts will effect their effectiveness.

Glad to help out with the bulletins. Sometimes it wakes the service people up from their stooper when you hand them the info.

All I know is the new injectors cured my problem.

Just curious what dealer is he using? I think I would like to avoid them!

All I know is the new injectors cured my problem.

Just curious what dealer is he using? I think I would like to avoid them!

I will send you a message. Since all my info is second hand, I hate put their name out on a not so positive experience so far.

I will update what happens next.

I joined this site. I saved the service bulletin as a PDF. I will find out when my bike was made using a VIN decoder. Thanks to my brother for doing the research and thanks for all the helpful information. I think I will have to approach the dealer with this is as a safety issue. Changing the spark plugs and trying to send me on my way with the explanation that they all do that rubbed me the wrong way.

You'll find that some dealers spend more time trying to get rid of a customer with the lame excuses whereas if they were to get involved, they would not only fix the bike but make a customer very happy to and they would return.

You'll find that some dealers spend more time trying to get rid of a customer with the lame excuses whereas if they were to get involved, they would not only fix the bike but make a customer very happy to and they would return.

Mr. Data you are so On Target with that statement. And it does not just apply to Dealerships. It is almost everywhere I go. Why can't people just say "I don't know the answer to that question" instead of giving me this lip service speech.

If I don't know the answer to a question, I just say "I don't know". What's the big deal in saying that. :p

Back