free website stats program Ideas For A Week Long Trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Ideas For A Week Long Trip

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I've got 2 weeks of vacation starting April 22nd, so it's the last week of April and the first week of May. My wife's not overly excited about me disappearing for long trips but she gave me the green light to go somewhere for a week of my 2 weeks off. Now I just need to decide where I want to go. For the time being, I'm pretty much over the whole "rally" experience so please don't suggest any of those. I want to go somewhere I haven't been yet. BTW, I live in NW Georgia. Here's some of my ideas so far:

A. Natchez Trace - maybe a stop in Biloxi on the way there or home depending on which direction I ride it

B. Skyline Drive + York factory tour + stop to see my brother in Rochester, NY. I rode the entire BRP summer before last but I didn't get to do the Skyline Drive portion in Virginia

C. Milwaukee to see the HD Museum

D. 3 day sprint out to Sturgis, explore for a day or two, 3 day sprint home

E. Same as D but Taos,NM or somewhere in Colorado

F. Northwest Arkansas

G. Get up each morning, check the weather, and go where ever the weather dictates for 300 or 400 miles. Get some sleep. Get up and repeat.

OK, let's hear some ideas or votes for one of the ones I already mentioned.

A or B. The trace is a great ride. Mixing riding the Skyline Drive and visiting brother++++!

If you have never rode the Natchez Trace,I would say take that ride,I think the spring bloom would be beautiful.I rode it in the fall and the colors were fantastic.I'm sure everyone will have thier own opinion on which ride you should take and you will end up just as undecided as you are now after everyone chimes in.:bigsmiley30:

I would go with A or G forget about C, D and E this time of year, of course your wife already knows that that why she not joining you :) oh and if you take the Natchez remember to fuel up often.

Last edited:
Doc, I didn’t pay attention to the fact you live in Woodstock until after I did all these mileage calculations, I simply read your post saying you were in NW Georgia so I used Dalton, GA as a starting point. Wherever you go I hope you have a great trip and the weather cooperates.

A. Natchez Trace - maybe a stop in Biloxi on the way there or home depending on which direction I ride it.

Dalton to Biloxi, 473; to Nachez, 226; to Lawrenceburg, TN, 390; to Dalton, 177. Total mileage: 1266. This is certainly doable!

B. Skyline Drive + York factory tour + stop to see my brother in Rochester, NY. I rode the entire BRP summer before last but I didn't get to do the Skyline Drive portion in Virginia

Dalton to Waynesboro, 454; to Front Royal, 110; to Rochester, 393; to York, 289, to Dalton 649. Total mileage: 1895. This is certainly doable!

C. Milwaukee to see the HD Museum

Dalton to Milwaukee, 721 X 2 = 1442; quite doable.

D. 3 day sprint out to Sturgis, explore for a day or two, 3 day sprint home

Dalton to Sturgis, 1450 X2 = 2900. This would be a grueling trip with no time to take in any scenery.

E. Same as D but Taos,NM or somewhere in Colorado

Dalton to Taos, 1412 X 2 = 2824. This would be grueling.

F. Northwest Arkansas

Dalton to Rogers AR 717 X 2 = 1434. Easy ride.

G. Get up each morning, check the weather, and go where ever the weather dictates for 300 or 400 miles. Get some sleep. Get up and repeat.

Riding 8 hours a day you can average about 400 miles without beating yourself to death. This is averaging 50 MPH which seems to be about right unless you are doing an iron butt ride. If you have seven days for your trip 2800 miles is as far as you may want to plan on going. I would scratch D and E until you had more time.

Isn't there someway you can bundle B,C and D together? That is what I would do.

You're joking, right? :s Maybe you missed where I only have 7, maybe 8 days!

Riding 8 hours a day you can average about 400 miles without beating yourself to death. This is averaging 50 MPH which seems to be about right unless you are doing an iron butt ride. If you have seven days for your trip 2800 miles is as far as you may want to plan on going. I would scratch D and E until you had more time.

I agree - D and E are really a stretch. Lots of super slab riding just to say I've been somewhere.

Talking to the guys at Lake Osage HD there is a road HWY 125 is what I remember that dead ends into a lake and you can take a ferry acrossed the lake. I think that sounds neat.

Cool tip - I'll take a look.

Back