free website stats program I Must Have Winter HD Fever! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I Must Have Winter HD Fever!

Well, I just KNEW you two would be a big help! :D

Again, I'm just starting to mull this idea over so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm mainly looking for the added convenience of the tour pack since I already have the saddlebags, fairing, radio, etc on my FLHX. I also understand the Electraglides have more travel in the rear suspension. I wasn't really considering the Ultra since i don't think I'll travel in weather requiring the lowers, don't see myself chatting on the CB, and I'm not looking for the extra bling. What else about the Ultras am I forgetting?

The lowers are nice in the rain, also provide a little extra storage. (An egg-a- muffin and a milk fit in there nice) I'm not sure the Standard has the rear speakers and the arm rests for Sue. I agree with the CB, turned it on a couple times to listen but have never talked on it.

Without a doubt the changes on the new '09 touring models is interested. I have an 03 Roadking and rode a demo '09 Ultra on a long demo ride. The '09 was interesting, but I was not really all that enticed to run to the dealer and cut a deal.

My experience in trading in anything is that you are always better selling out right. Case in point, last time I went from a '97 Roadking to an '03 Roadking selling outright added another three thousand bucks:newsmile093: in my pocket and not the dealers. The dealer wanted to give me 3K less than what I sold it for. The price on the bike I bought was fixed at suggested retail, so there was no playing with the numbers.

You can try to approach the dealer and see what shakes out monetarily. However, if you can't get the deal you desire, adding the detachable tour-pack is a beautiful thing. I have the detachable King tour pack and it is great on those long trips.

With all that being said you already have a nice cycle, hence...you are good to GO when the weather warms up!:D

I understand this but there are also several negatives to going this route:

1)Economy is also affecting how many potential buyers are out there and the value of used bikes as well as the time of year
2)Time is money - you've got to answer every phone call and email since you never know which one might be THE buyer

When I traded in my Sporty, I feel like I got a VERY good price on it. In fact I probably expended too much energy in this area and didn't fight at all over the price of the new bike, since I was told up front it would strictly be an MSRP deal. Won't make that mistake again.

The lowers are nice in the rain, also provide a little extra storage. (An egg-a- muffin and a milk fit in there nice) I'm not sure the Standard has the rear speakers and the arm rests for Sue. I agree with the CB, turned it on a couple times to listen but have never talked on it.

I think you're right about the speakers. As of right now, I just don't see Sue riding on trips with me so that's not really a factor. Guess I should really look at the price difference between a Classic and an Ultra if I do this.

From what you've said:

If you're anything like me, if you do this with the Ultra, you'll be right back here in less than 2 years. Do yourself a favor, get the TP for your SG and ride.

Where do you go from an Ultra?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you've got the fever alright, Doc. My Brother added the detachable TP to his SG and is very happy with it. Unless you've got money to burn, I'd add the TP. You're adding value to the bike too. So it could be a win-win deal.

OK, I have to throw my .02 in here too.:D

Are you happy with the overall bike that you have now in the 08 ?

If you are then add the pack in the color of your bike so it matches and enjoy it. If you settle for a pack in another color or a spray can job, every time you look at it, there will be that thought in your head that "I shoulda" The 09 will be a big outlay and then you have to change everything you did on the 08.

Life is full of choices.:hii Follow your first instincts is what I say.

OK, I have to throw my .02 in here too.:D

Are you happy with the overall bike that you have now in the 08 ?

If you are then add the pack in the color of your bike so it matches and enjoy it. If you settle for a pack in another color or a spray can job, every time you look at it, there will be that thought in your head that "I shoulda" The 09 will be a big outlay and then you have to change everything you did on the 08.

Life is full of choices.:hii Follow your first instincts is what I say.

Very happy. If I totally set aside my crazy emotions, my logical side says I'm just trying to rationalize getting a new bike. For $1000 I can have the capability of doing some long distance cruising (tour pack) on the bike I already own and love. Even if I drop another thousand in a year on an extended warranty I'll still be ahead of buying a brand new 2009.

Thanks for all the input from everyone - good stuff here!

To wrap this whole thing up, I've come to the realization that this is about the only negative facet of this fine forum. I spend way too much time reading about other peoples new rides and all the cool parts and accessories you guys are adding to your bikes. It just gives you such an itch to do SOMETHING, buy something for your ride or trade up to a nice, new one. I just have to learn to ignore the itch until it goes away, relax, and enjoy what I already have. Whew, I feel my fever dropping after having gotten that off my chest!

Put the tourpack on your SG and take some of the money you saved and buy the extended warranty you have been thinking about. In the long run that will add value to your bike when you honestly do want to sell it!

Back