free website stats program I Must Have Winter HD Fever! | Harley Davidson Forums

I Must Have Winter HD Fever!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I've always laughed at threads from people who have beautiful rides but seem to begin lusting after their next bike as soon as their present one is broken in. I hate to admit the virus has been creeping into my brain lately.

I've worn out my calculator and figured it's going to cost right at $1000 to add a detachable tour pack to my 2008 Street Glide. I've already added the Sundowner seat, highway pegs, and adjustable backrest so the tour pack would set me up for as long a trip as I could imagine. But the longest trip I've taken is Atlanta to Daytona and back for Biketoberfest so I don't even know if I'll enjoy longer trips. I love reading about other folks' journeys so I think I would.

Here's where it gets weird. I rode my Sporty for 11 months and traded it in on my present FLHX. I'm coming up on a year riding the Street Glide. Now I'm seriously thinking about sinking another grand into it. But Milwaukee sent an evil thought wave at me last night.

It's winter and the 2009's have been out for 6 months now. The economy has seen better days and I would think most dealers would be willing to negotiate quite a bit on their 2009's. Speaking in very round numbers, I could probably trade in my FLHX and pony up another 3 to 4 thousand and get an Electraglide Classic with better frame, heat issues addressed (although I have no problem so far with this), fresh 2 year warranty, ABS, security, extra light bar up front, and the tour pack.

I KNOW this is my decision to make and, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my current bike but this seems to be like an opportunity to make a pretty nice upgrade for a reasonable outlay of cash.

Simply looking for opinions and input from the greatest, smartest bunch of people on the internet!

Kevin,
Get the Ultra and be done with it. I can feel your pain. I went throught the same process when I sold my '04 Road King. Good luck.

Dave

Doc,
I think your already sold, might as well amble on down and do the deal. Go ahead and get the Ultra though. Keep your recurve for the new bike. :D

I've been having the same issues. I love my Crossbones, LOVE IT. I want to be one of those guys that keeps his first bike forever, never trades it in, and by the time i'm 70 I have a stable of old bikes. :D Well the one thing I didn't take into effect is once you have a bike you spend all this money to make it more comfortable for those long rides. I can do 300 miles in a day...oh and I feel it at the end too. I would love something with a windshield, a radio for me and the lady, bags to hold all the extra gear I might need, that awesome Harley fairing...

This past Saturday thunder mountain Harley was having a customer appreciation day, anyone who traded their 08's in would receive MSRP on their bike. I almost had to slash my tires just to keep me away. :D

The only SHORT term cure is to pull the trigger. Once you start trying to convince yourself you're saving money.. you're cooked. Go ahead and remember you only live to ride and might as well ride what you want.

Kevin,
Get the Ultra and be done with it. I can feel your pain. I went throught the same process when I sold my '04 Road King. Good luck.

Dave

Doc,
I think your already sold, might as well amble on down and do the deal. Go ahead and get the Ultra though. Keep your recurve for the new bike. :D

Well, I just KNEW you two would be a big help! :D

Again, I'm just starting to mull this idea over so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm mainly looking for the added convenience of the tour pack since I already have the saddlebags, fairing, radio, etc on my FLHX. I also understand the Electraglides have more travel in the rear suspension. I wasn't really considering the Ultra since i don't think I'll travel in weather requiring the lowers, don't see myself chatting on the CB, and I'm not looking for the extra bling. What else about the Ultras am I forgetting?

Doc,
My approach would be this.

Take a casual trip down to your local dealer. Scope out what they have on the floor. Get an idea what kind of deal they would be willing to make. Here's the important part. Say 'No, I don't think that'll do it for me.' I don't care if they are going to give you a new bike with cash. OK that may be an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Go home and plug the numbers and make sure they make sense. If it's slow enough, they'll call you back, or if you decide it's what you want for the deal that suits you, go back. Also shop around if you can. Go to a different dealer.

IF YOU DO THIS, get the bike you want! Don't settle for a different color, no options, ect. If you do, we will be having this discussion next year!

My opinion? Don't trade in a bike that's under warranty. You haven't ridden out the steep initial depreciation. Maybe the deal will negate this? Your call.

This part of your post absolutely terrifies me! I'm afraid I know what would happen once I got in there and started breathing the "new Harley" fumes!

Otherwise, you're dead on. If I'm gonna do this it's got to be on my terms, right color, every option I want, etc. Otherwise, I'm 99% happy keeping what I got.

Oh well, life's all about decisions, isn't it?

Well, I just KNEW you two would be a big help! :D

Again, I'm just starting to mull this idea over so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm mainly looking for the added convenience of the tour pack since I already have the saddlebags, fairing, radio, etc on my FLHX. I also understand the Electraglides have more travel in the rear suspension. I wasn't really considering the Ultra since i don't think I'll travel in weather requiring the lowers, don't see myself chatting on the CB, and I'm not looking for the extra bling. What else about the Ultras am I forgetting?

I also had my mind set on the SG until I started to add all of the things "required" for my better half. I like the option of having things like the lowers and the rear speakers if I want them and it's nice to know your set to travel the country if the itch arrises. JMO

I purchased my 09 Ultra the day after Thanksgiving for the same reason you are thinking now. Slow economy etc. etc. I ended up about $2k under MSRP. Most of all, have fun with it. You already have a pretty sweet ride :57:

Without a doubt the changes on the new '09 touring models is interested. I have an 03 Roadking and rode a demo '09 Ultra on a long demo ride. The '09 was interesting, but I was not really all that enticed to run to the dealer and cut a deal.

My experience in trading in anything is that you are always better selling out right. Case in point, last time I went from a '97 Roadking to an '03 Roadking selling outright added another three thousand bucks:newsmile093: in my pocket and not the dealers. The dealer wanted to give me 3K less than what I sold it for. The price on the bike I bought was fixed at suggested retail, so there was no playing with the numbers.

You can try to approach the dealer and see what shakes out monetarily. However, if you can't get the deal you desire, adding the detachable tour-pack is a beautiful thing. I have the detachable King tour pack and it is great on those long trips.

With all that being said you already have a nice cycle, hence...you are good to GO when the weather warms up!:D

It's not too difficult to make the tourpak detachable on your ultra, if you decide you want that down the road. I did it to my '04. The only reason I went with the SG instead of the Ultra this time is because of some of the styling cues on the SG (rear fender, clean paint) that would be expensive to change on an Ultra. Go to Harley-Davidson USA | Motorcycles | 2009 Motorcycles and look at the SG and the Ultra. You can do 360* views and all kinds of photos online. Do you like the rear fender light? Do you prefer the pinstripes in the paint? Check them out. You can even pull yours up at Harley-Davidson USA | Motorcycles | 2008 Motorcycles. Check them out to see if your eyes agree with your head.

trust me, I've been spinning that bike around on the HD site for hours! I'm not bent on getting the EGlide for the extra chrome on the front fender and bags - I do really like the cleaner look of the Street Glide. But once you're sitting in the seat, you really don't see any of that, do you? Same with the rear fender lights. I'm thinking strictly utilitarian and not worrying about looks. But then, looks is a huge part of riding a Harley. Can you see why I've got myself so confused? Think I'll go flog myself on the treadmill for a bit and try to clear my brain!

Back