free website stats program Holes in Windshield for Buffeting? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Holes in Windshield for Buffeting?

Has anyone heard of drilling a series of holes near the bottom of the windshield to decrease buffeting? I read once that it may be a viable option but I can't find that source now. Any thoughts?

I think in the 70's a windscreen manufacturer moulded in a vent so the vacuum behind would be relieved as a selling point. They made them for most all motorcycles. I do notice it as my tank bib has a concho with leather straps that blow forward towards the windscreen. Don't know if it would help with the buffeting as much as lower deflectors, windscreen angle and helmet design...those flip down faceshields on 3/4 or 1/2 coverage helmets rattle like crazy if it is not right!:small3d002:

Has anyone heard of drilling a series of holes near the bottom of the windshield to decrease buffeting? I read once that it may be a viable option but I can't find that source now. Any thoughts?

I have no idea if this is an approach I would take, but if it works I would really like to know. I do think I have a solution to the problem of drilling holes and then finding that it served no purpose or caused further buffeting. After you drill the holes if you don't like the effect you could but the push in chrome hole covers they sell at most of the big box home improvement stores.

I have no idea if this is an approach I would take, but if it works I would really like to know. I do think I have a solution to the problem of drilling holes and then finding that it served no purpose or caused further buffeting. After you drill the holes if you don't like the effect you could but the push in chrome hole covers they sell at most of the big box home improvement stores.

Yeah, drill the holes in the shape of the Bar/Shield logo and if it doesn't work put in chrome rivets.
:newsmile071:

Windshields are for car aren't they? HAHA, just kidding. JMO but I don't think I could bring it to myself to drill holes in a windshield that I spent that much money on to see if it would help with the buffeting.

Windshields are for car aren't they? HAHA, just kidding. JMO but I don't think I could bring it to myself to drill holes in a windshield that I spent that much money on to see if it would help with the buffeting.

Along these lines, take it off for a while, then later with it back on you will not be so unhappy.

Is the buffeting occuring all the time, even on a calm day? or is it more prevalent on windy days. I usually only notice it if there is a cross wind present and it doesn't taks much of a breeze. I am wondering if this isn't just the way it is, for your bikes configuration. Have you been on a different bike on the same day and noticed a difference?

It is present to a degree all the time, of course when it's windy it's worse. It's certainly not something that's going to make me not ride. I'm with you, I think a certain amount is unavoidable. There aren't as many options for Dyna riders for accessories (lowers, etc) as some of the other models. I'll keep at it. I think I'll probably try Jack's vest....

A vent will do wonders the picture of my bike has a 15.5 Clearview with a vent, and yes it does break up the paint shaker motion. My wife and I can talk to each other going 60 with no problem. I also am looking through the screen , many dont like it, but I do. Good luck

I sit very tall in the saddle short legs and long torso I like you tried all the usual remedies
I finally order a 28” shield with a recurve from clearview that finally stopped the wind buffeting. This is not the most attractive shield because it is very large but works
to keep the wind off.

Great feedback and very intriguing ideas....I'm looking at ways to adjust the angle, I won't drill unless I have no other options. Who knows, it may do the trick. I got a deal on this shield on Ebay so I may sacrifice it, especially with those GREAT ideas about filling the holes back in....Thanks for the wisdom and advice. This forum is great!

Another idea to try is to drill the holes in the shape of ( silhouette ) the Bar and Shield. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, you have another bar and shield on your bike.

Back