free website stats program Holes in Windshield for Buffeting? | Harley Davidson Forums

Holes in Windshield for Buffeting?

danthern

Has anyone heard of drilling a series of holes near the bottom of the windshield to decrease buffeting? I read once that it may be a viable option but I can't find that source now. Any thoughts?

Check this out...

Motorcycle Fairings and Windshields

Interesting theory and I haven't heard it before. I went with lowers and it eliminated any buffetting that I got on my Softail Standard with HD QR Compact.

I'm sure that someone in the think tank has some knowledge on drilling the holes. Since I'm not having a problem anymore I don't think I'm willing to take the Hilti to my $400 piece of plastic.

Interesting information on shields, thanks for that....I've tried and rejected the Memphis Shades lowers. Not much improvement at all. I too am hesitant about punching holes in my HD (high dollar) shield. Interesting, the only thing that takes 90% of the buffeting away is when I extend my legs straight out in front along the tank. Calm then but I look kinda stupid....

I have actually researched this vest. As I'm sure you know, Jack says to do the "salute test" across the chest to see if the vest will help. No good in my case. My 2 main goals in life have become world peace and elimination of buffeting. I think world peace may be more realistic....

I have to agree with what has been said, I would not drill holes in my shield. Usually a result of leg position, helmet and general body position, try different positions to see.

I have to agree with what has been said, I would not drill holes in my shield. Usually a result of leg position, helmet and general body position, try different positions to see.

I've tried every position I could think of, windshield height adjustment, highway pegs vs mids, 4 different seats and 6 or 7 helmets. Short of a fairing that I don't want, not much else to try. I know that the vest has a money back guarantee so there's nothing to lose, but the salute test is essentially negative for me. Still, can't hurt I guess. May be a hundred dollar fix...

I don't thinl I would drill any holes in my windshield either. It would be a big waste of money if it didn't work.

Is the buffeting occuring all the time, even on a calm day? or is it more prevalent on windy days. I usually only notice it if there is a cross wind present and it doesn't taks much of a breeze. I am wondering if this isn't just the way it is, for your bikes configuration. Have you been on a different bike on the same day and noticed a difference?

Back