free website stats program Holes in Windshield for Buffeting? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Holes in Windshield for Buffeting?

What I did was make a couple small brackets and mounted on the bottom of wind shield whick tilted the top back about an inch or more , this solved the buffeting for me . Even when it's windy it made a huge difference . I got the idea from another member on here and believe me it works get . I can be on the interstae at 70 mph and just use one hand if I want to , I don't have to have the death grip with both like I use to .

What I did was make a couple small brackets and mounted on the bottom of wind shield whick tilted the top back about an inch or more , this solved the buffeting for me . Even when it's windy it made a huge difference . I got the idea from another member on here and believe me it works get . I can be on the interstae at 70 mph and just use one hand if I want to , I don't have to have the death grip with both like I use to .

Wouldn't happen to have some pics of that would you?

I know the guy I copied it from had some pictures and I think I might have posted one also , do a search under windshield buffeting and you should find it .

I found my post which was on june 24th with the picture if this helps , I don't know how to forward it to you .

Windshield - Harley Davidson Community
try this

I even amaze myself sometimes . lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcycle Fairings and Windshields

That is a great artical, I seen those turned up shields before and always wondered if or how they worked.

I don't like the buffeting from a windshield or fairing, so I don't use a windshield, and I wear a 3/4 helmet with a smoked flip-up face shield. I thought I wouldn't like it, but it the air is so smooth, I've never put the windshield back on. Even in the summertime I like it, and I flip the face shield up one click and the air flows around the face shield to my face. Try it...it's pretty nice.

Thorns

I don't suppose your wife knits? Ok, this is going to sound a bit strange but until you know where the buffeting is coming from you are chasing expensive demons.

Get some yarn and blue painters tape and cut the yarn into 6" strips, maybe a dozen of them. Tape several along the top and side of your windshield and then tape 3-4 of them along side your tank, front to back and a few on top of the tank. Then go for a ride and if you have a friend with a bike have them come along to observe. Watch where the air flow goes. If the yarn along the top of the windshield is pointed at your head, ta-da, look at the tank, where is the air going under the shield? You can even hold a strip and move it around to see where the buffeting is coming from and going.

Like I said, sounds silly but the aerodynamic guys use something very similar to observe airflow and it is a whole lot cheaper the lowers and chasing different shield sizes.

I had the same problem with my Dyna and had tried everything. Even bought a piece of lexan and formed it to fit my brackets. I started very high and would go for a ride, come home cut an inch off and go for another ride. Well, after about 7 or 8 rides I was down to a small maybe 12" chunk of windshield and the problem was still there. Then I tried to copy the style of a friends BMW that had a little lip on the top and that failed too. I finally gave up with heights and went for a smoother angle, that helped but not enough, my head was still shaking like crazy. I sold the bike. So, enough of my story, I have seen windshield manufacturers that have a slot cut out somewhere in the bottom half. I think they were called Cee Bailies or Cee Bees. I will check, so can you though. They were supposedly wind tunnel tested but I do not recall if any were for H.D. So you could go buy a chunk of lexan or plexi and shape it like your windshield but make it 4 or 5 inches taller and go from there. Cut all the holes you want and you will only be out a couple bucks. I tried the lowers too and they didn't make a diff. Too bad H.D. couldn't spend some time to make a windshield system that works.Mind you they are behind on most of their technology compared to other manufacturers. But they are getting there. Slowly.I laugh when I see some dude crusin' along and his face is flapping all over the place! Been there done that and it is a miserable experience.

I know Clear View sells their vent separately for around $50.00. Has anyone installed the vent in a windshield other than a Clear View windshild?

Has anyone heard of drilling a series of holes near the bottom of the windshield to decrease buffeting? I read once that it may be a viable option but I can't find that source now. Any thoughts?

National Cycle came out with the V-Steamer which relieved the backpressure behind the windscreen in the early 80's. Honda (the other brand "H") had GoldWing touring bike equipped with a center vented windscreen for more cooling air to get to the rider and discovered it lowered the turbulance coincidently at the same time when doing windtunnel and road test R&D. This also precipitated a large number of replacement ones but for the GW only...though it would have been nice to have spread that knowledge and product to other makers...BMW followed suit on their touring bikes, eventually the adjustable windshield was born.:s

National Cycle, Inc. | The Windshield Bible

I don't suppose your wife knits? Ok, this is going to sound a bit strange but until you know where the buffeting is coming from you are chasing expensive demons.

I'm certain that it's coming from under the shield off the tank. When I stretch my legs out along the tank sides, the air is smooth. I do like the idea of just buying a piece of lexan or acrylic and making a donor shield to cut holes in....

Back