free website stats program HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?

OK, I bought my 1200 SE used from HD and they said it was a rental. Had 5K on it, put another 5K on it before I traded it for my FXSTC. The only problem I had was a small oil leak at the primary about 2K after purchase, I did buy the extended warranty and it was covered.
The bike was an 07 purchased in Aug. 08 and I paid 9K for it, ~ 3K less than new. It came with quick release passenger backrest, luggage rack, and quick release windshield, and good tires. I thought it was pretty good buy, no other problems, but I only had it 6 months.

To me, getting $4K off list seems reasonable.

Given all the comments that have been made, I think it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Weigh the option of having extra money in the pocket up front against maintenance expenses that come associated with a bike that has 9K-11K miles on it (tires, brakes, etc) versus a new bike that you break-in yourself and has the full factory warranty on it.

If you feel good about buying the used rental, then I would say "go for it". If you have doubts and feel you might have "buyers remorse" for not buying a new bike, then don't do it.

Keep in mind that, just because a bike is new, it isn't going to have any problems. Likewise, just because it was a rental, it doesn't mean it will have problems.

My 06 RoadKing was a rental with 10k on it when purchased. I paid 4k under new, it had detachable passenger backrest and driver backrest included with purchase, plus new rear tire and new brakes. I was given all maintenance records at time of purchase including proof that the recall's were done. I put an additional 14k on the bike in 13 mos without a bit of trouble...matter of fact, sometimes I wished I still had her.

Buying a Harley is NOT an "investment". It's an indulgence.

An "investment" implies your money is safe, secure, and you have the potential and hope that the place you've placed your money will not only protect it but allow it to grow. So, in the most conservative sense, putting your money in the bank in a savings account is an investment, although nowadays the interest rate is pretty low, but the money is safe and it will grow. Less conservatively, the stock market is an investment. Your money isn't as safe, but if you are a conservative investor, and only buy blue-chip stocks, your money is "relatively" safe and has a chance of returning a lot more than the bank's savings account.

It's ALL a loss when you compare against INFLATION!!!! Especially the savings account!!!:D:D:D:D

Nice post RichardS! :s

Ok so I should have used the word waste, I still don't think I would waste money on a rental. I would waste it on one from someone that bought the bike new or has real history of how it was taken care of. I have done the demo days ride and told the service manager about the clunking sound from the front of the bike and how it felt loose going over bumps, they didn't pull it from the group of demo bikes to inspect it and I would think it was in that "it's a demo/rental so why fix it", Remember 5 yrs. from the day you buy your Harley, your wasted money will be worth many times more than if you bought a Jap bike

Do NOT think of that purchase as an "investment", (NO vehicle is!), any more than you think of any car you buy as an investment, .

Boy those words are so True for me. Back in December of '06 I purchased a "Special" 4 wheel cage as an "Investment". I Never lost so much money, so fast, in my life.
I even outpaced Paine Weber in loosing my own money.!

Nice Read Richard! I can tell you have Worldly Experience! Tks....:s

A couple weeks ago I saw new 09's for as muchj as 4k under list. I saw a 10 Heritage Softail for 16,300 and a 10 Unltra classic for 20,950 also saw 10 Ultra Classic Limited for 24,900

4 grand off plus warranty for a rental bike with reasonable mileage? Sounds very tempting if I were in the market. It's like throwing dice if the bike was abused while a rental. Most owners of Police Bikes have been very positive and no telling how hard they were ridden, or how many hours they were left sitting idling while on traffic duty. I'd give this rental purchase serious consideration.......

Dealer up here had a few UC, 19K miles, $19600.00, and they were 2009. New they are only 22K with zero miles, would never buy one, probably rode extremely hard. I see how a few dealers ride their demo bikes, could not give me one. Wait a minute, yes you could, but I would not pay for one. JMO, it is your cash, if you feel it is a good deal that works for you, great. Good luck.

My only point is you just don't know. You may get a decent bike but you may also get one that was severely abused. I would think you would buy a used bike from an individual for around the same money, still with warranty and much more likley to have been treated well. What ever you do, good luck and ride safe.:s

Back