free website stats program HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one? | Harley Davidson Forums

HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?

take 5

Went to a delaer today looking at new bikes, instead looked at rental bikes for sale, 5k to 11k for miles. Available are Heritage, SG, RKC and Ultra's, all 2009's. Has anybody purchased any of these rentals, the dealer tells me that they have the remainder of warranty and they keep them serviced and it looks like they keep them in great shape. Any opinions? Thanks..............

Went to a delaer today looking at new bikes, instead looked at rental bikes for sale, 5k to 11k for miles. Available are Heritage, SG, RKC and Ultra's, all 2009's. Has anybody purchased any of these rentals, the dealer tells me that they have the remainder of warranty and they keep them serviced and it looks like they keep them in great shape. Any opinions? Thanks..............

Sometimes these rental bikes aren't , well , let's say treated with the care of a rider that owns one!

How good is the pricing? You would be buying a used bike with limited warranty. I would check pricing on kbb.com and nada.com on the used pricing,to see if they are in the ballpark.:s

It would depend on how much off for the rental bike VS a brand new one. When I went into my dealership and saw how close a used bike (with low miles) was vs a brand new bike, I bought new.

Rentals are not like a used bike. I am sure on the rentals, there won't be ANY extra features and they will be completly stock. That actually will make it easier to compare prices.
I don't know... 10K worth of RENTAL mileage is a lot to me. The price would really have to be right for me to spring for a rental..

It would depend on how much off for the rental bike VS a brand new one. When I went into my dealership and saw how close a used bike (with low miles) was vs a brand new bike, I bought new.

Rentals are not like a used bike. I am sure on the rentals, there won't be ANY extra features and they will be completly stock. That actually will make it easier to compare prices.
I don't know... 10K worth of RENTAL mileage is a lot to me. The price would really have to be right for me to spring for a rental..

They actually put the 4-point docking system and sissy bar and back rest on all of them. Would 4k off new pricing be enough??

How big a discount is the real question? While it being a rental would not bother me a lot I would want a meaningful discount from a normal 1 owner trade. Another option would be extended warranty as part of the deal.
5-11K bike barley broken in.
On the 11K your looking at a new rear tire soon so you would want that thrown in.
And while the tire is off new rear brake pads. If it still has 407 front tire get them to replace it right away.
You know they have been serviced with HD oil and lube that would not bother me , but I would change it.

Most of the bike have about 8-9k for miles 1 or 2 with 5-6k, a couple of Ultra's have the 11k miles. Would 4k off new pricing be enough and have them replace tires and pads. Is there a way to check service records?

Last edited by a moderator:
They actually put the 4-point docking system and sissy bar and back rest on all of them. Would 4k off new pricing be enough??

Wow, that is a pretty Handsome cut.
Example:
The MSRP on the Rental when New was 18K. They are selling you that bike for 14K plus Tax? I would say that is a good price.

Remember a Rental won't have dealership prep, Freight or setup.
What was the MSRP on the Rental bike your interested in.

You are looking at an investment, and you need to think of it this way. When buying a H-D bike you most likely want to keep it, if you want a 1 yr old bike than try to find one from the original owner, you will have real feed back on the care of the bike, a rental has had well maybe 100 different people that have riden this bike and not many of them rode it like it was thiers, and how many were learning on this bike. I have talked to guys on rides that are on a rental and the stories thay told about how hard they are riding it, use the cheapest gas, who cares if it needs oil, makes it a no brainer on a rental purchase, for me it is no, I don't want someones problem bike. You are in the best time of the year to buy new, close to the end of the yr. dealers want to do what ever it takes to make the yr. sales report look good. Call arround , visit different dealers, be pre-approved, get the lowest price, tell them you will be buying a new bike, and if they want to sell one to you they need to get to a resonable price, let them know you are working with a different dealer but want to give them a chance to counter the price, get them to put it on paper/purchace order to show you banker. If I can do this so can you, we work'd on 4 differnt dealers, when they know you are really going to buy, they will do what ever it takes to sell. The best price I got on 09 RKC, abs, smooth chrome spoke wheels, 2 tone out the door was $18,000, that was Nov 08

The best price I got on 09 RKC, abs, smooth chrome spoke wheels, 2 tone out the door was $18,000, that was Nov 08

Wow, I thought I got a good price when I purchased my 09 Dyna.

On yours, out the door, 18K, new bike. I would say you really did Great..

I personally would not buy a rental bike. Some people treat them with respect and some do not. It only takes one rider disrespecting the bike to cause problems down the road. I have nothing against used bikes, but I would buy one from a owner. You know in all likely hood HD buyers baby their rides, HD renters may not. You can get a similar buy on a used bike from a individual that still holds a warranty. While in Tennesee last year I rented a RK that ran like junk. Upon returning it I told the dealer and he said "its a rental". Thats enough for me.:s

10K service + new front tire + new rear tire + new rear pads = around $1200. Keep that in concideration, concerning what may have been done for the rig before you buy.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back