free website stats program Harley SE 6-speed VS Baker 6-speed Tranny | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley SE 6-speed VS Baker 6-speed Tranny

I replaced the OEM 5-spd on my '03 UC in Mar. '08 with 65,396 on the clock with a SE 6-spd (complete assembly). In April '10, with 77,435 miles, had a major failure when the meganut threads sheared out allowing the pully to damage inner primary and related parts. HD paid for parts and I paid for labor to rebuild the tranny and replace the IP. All evidence points to the meganut not being properly torqued during original assembly by HD.

Even without all that background, I would NOT install a SE 6-spd if I had it to do again. For the added $1K (so the total is around $4K - if you go with the Builder's Kit, you can save about $1.5K), it is worth it to go with the Baker DD6. Those folks who ride with the bike almost fully loaded all the time or who pull a trailer most of the time might benefit from the DD7. The rest of us will be fine with a DD6.

TQ

THIS Post is the One I waited for (TQ1 Post)

I followed TQ1's Problem way back on his tranny... I think He is being Kind to HD about what they did do and WHAT THEY SHOULD of Done. I really feel BAKER would NOT have left TQ1 Spending His $$ AGAIN, Like HD Did..

I make MY final VOTE on Baker 6/7 and THUMBS UP on their fine product and STANDING behind it of which they do..

I believe Jack K. correct saying HD would Not have a 6 speed today IF it weren't for Baker.. Remember back when HD OFFERED Baker in a lot of their bikes OFF the show room floor...Also replace many Baker's in their franchised shops ...

Thanks for the post TQ:D

signed....BUBBIE

The design of the two trannys is completely different. Check out how the shafts are assembled with the gears and you will find the advantage belongs to Baker. They shift and last longer because they are designed right. If you are not trying to save pennies then you can build in quality. Harley could build a tranny with the same performance and durability but it would raise the price of all bikes and this would affect their bottom line. Unfortunately manufacturers need to control costs, this opens up the after market to quality products like Baker which ends up being a benefit to us the end users.

remember that the se 6 speed from harley is not the same as the 6 speed installed in the reguler lineup..its a true overdrive and not noisey in any gear at all..I am using spectro 6speed oil in it if it makes any difference:cheers

I agree with RibEye that HD parts are not inferior. Some manuf. offer more options so you can get your bike to perform the way you want it not a one size fits all. Baker has continued to upgrade their product line to give you more options. Take a look at their site and what is offered then give them a call and talk to their tech support:
BAKER Drivetrain | The Drivetrain Authority
thanks for the link....

installed a SE 6 a couple years ago and never looked back/should have done it years aago..its a true overdrive and 5th is the same as the original 5th ratio when you need it..its nice to cruise at high speed and keep the rpms a little lower...
Thanks.. I was looking for at least 1 person that had installed the SE6 and there opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Baker gets my vote too. Never owned one but ridden a few on custom bikes. Also, American Iron Magazine did an in depth article on the HD 6 speed several years back. It was not impressive compared to the Baker. You might find it if you search their archives. There may be more.

You said you wanted more top end but isn't the final drive ratio on the HD 5 and 6 speeds both 1:1? Just more shifting to get there.

Thanks.. I was looking for at least 1 person that had installed the SE6 and there opinion.

Really? Did you see post #20 above, or here:

Harley SE 6-speed VS Baker 6-speed Tranny - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

You said you wanted more top end but isn't the final drive ratio on the HD 5 and 6 speeds both 1:1? Just more shifting to get there.

Actually, the SE 6-spd is an over-drive 6th. 5th gear in the SE 6-spd is the same ratio as 5th in the OEM 5-spd (1:1). In fact the first 5 gears mimic the 5-spd ratios. The SE 6-spd final ratio is .89 although there may be an option for .82.

TQ

Last edited:
Back