free website stats program Harley SE 6-speed VS Baker 6-speed Tranny | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley SE 6-speed VS Baker 6-speed Tranny

I agree with RibEye that HD parts are not inferior. Some manuf. offer more options so you can get your bike to perform the way you want it not a one size fits all. Baker has continued to upgrade their product line to give you more options. Take a look at their site and what is offered then give them a call and talk to their tech support:
BAKER Drivetrain | The Drivetrain Authority

installed a SE 6 a couple years ago and never looked back/should have done it years aago..its a true overdrive and 5th is the same as the original 5th ratio when you need it..its nice to cruise at high speed and keep the rpms a little lower...

If not for Baker Harley would probably still be working on developing their own 6 speed. They have watched the aftermarket for a ling time on a lot of changes IMO, Baker has done the R&D and now has a 7 speed also:s

installed a SE 6 a couple years ago and never looked back/should have done it years aago..its a true overdrive and 5th is the same as the original 5th ratio when you need it..its nice to cruise at high speed and keep the rpms a little lower...

So now there is something for everyone to think about. Since I don't have the HD SE 6 speed if I were thinking about moving up I would have to give serious thought to the HD product. Thanks Springer

I have a 2000 Roadking. Had a 5 speed. Had Baker do my DD6 conversion while I was at Sturgis. They give very good pricing and I couldn't have bought the parts to do it myself for what they did it for (installed). Too late to get that deal this year unless there is another big run . They also shipped my old tranny parts home as well as some free t-shirts. First ride through the canyon at Sturgis I thought they had switched bikes. Was so nice and smooth and sweet shifting I thought I had a new bike. Didn't wipe the smile off my face for a week. Just got home from 4400 mile trip and hot and cold (188 Deg at needles) she shifted like a champ. I love my Baker 6 speed. :D

I've got an H-D 6 speed in my Electra Glide Standard. It definitely doesn't shift as smooth as it should on a regular basis, its noisy in fifth and finding neutral can but tough at times. If I had the cash I'd buy a Baker tranny in a heartbeat.

GO TO A DEALER AND RIDE A TRI-GLIDE . the 6 speed shift wise is very noisy. but does improve with redline shochproof gear oil. My local cycle shop
highly recommends the Baker

BAKER 9 speed, when they make it,,,, :D

I have a DD7 (wish they had a 9):D in my '08 SG installed at 43,000 miles and just turned 55,000 with no issues. Had a buddy with a '05 RK and installed the SE which failed after 11,000 miles. He put a Baker 6 speed in and hasn't looked back. I've yet to hear of any negative on a Baker tranny.

Baker is also very phone friendly and always took my calls previously to the purchase. Even after the install, they've been great just wanting me to keep them in the loop as far as performance, etc.

My vote, BAKER!

I replaced the OEM 5-spd on my '03 UC in Mar. '08 with 65,396 on the clock with a SE 6-spd (complete assembly). In April '10, with 77,435 miles, had a major failure when the meganut threads sheared out allowing the pully to damage inner primary and related parts. HD paid for parts and I paid for labor to rebuild the tranny and replace the IP. All evidence points to the meganut not being properly torqued during original assembly by HD.

Even without all that background, I would NOT install a SE 6-spd if I had it to do again. For the added $1K (so the total is around $4K - if you go with the Builder's Kit, you can save about $1.5K), it is worth it to go with the Baker DD6. Those folks who ride with the bike almost fully loaded all the time or who pull a trailer most of the time might benefit from the DD7. The rest of us will be fine with a DD6.

TQ

Back