free website stats program Hard time finding neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard time finding neutral

SG Eric

I changed my primary and tranny on my 09 Street Glide. I used HD formula in Primary and Bel-Ray in the tranny. I also removed my heel shifter. But since then it seems to be hard to find neutral. Any ideas, maybe I used heel shifter more than I thought but needed the room on the floor boards.

Not insulted in any way. This is my third Harley average 13,000 miles a year which is decent living in the great white north. But this is my first bagger had since 11/08 with 17,000 miles on it

I changed my primary and tranny on my 09 Street Glide. I used HD formula in Primary and Bel-Ray in the tranny. I also removed my heel shifter. But since then it seems to be hard to find neutral. Any ideas, maybe I used heel shifter more than I thought but needed the room on the floor boards.

I use to have that problem quite frequently when my Ultra was new. At the first 1000 mile service, I adjusted the clutch as per the service manual (and with guidance from this site), changed my tranny fluid to QS 75w-140 synthetic, Primary to Mobil 1 V-twin and haven't had it occur since (OK maybe once or twice since, especially when I'm tired I just loose the 'feel'). I don't use the heel shifter either.

If this problem occurred since changing the trans oil, why not use something like Spectro platinum for 6 speeds, you'll be glad you did.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Do a search on the Spectro here on the forum and you'll see what others think of it.

+1 on the Spectro, the stuff works great, I put it in my 09SG at 4000 miles, neutral is easy to find and it shifts great, it stopped the noises in 5th gear:D

I use my heel shifter and have no problem finding neutral. But, this being said, my heel shifter fell off a while back and going back to just toe shifting, I felt like a new biker. I couldn't find neutral and I messed up other shifts as well. I had gotten use to one way of shifting, and it was hard to change old habits. I replaced my heal shifter and I was good to go.

+1 on the Spectro 6. I was having a hard time finding N with my Dyna till I switched, now it is quite smooth and easy.

Eric,
I changed the tranny fluid on my road glide to 75w140 Amsoil and can find neutral easier. Have not tried Spectro and could not find it locally. Had Amsoil because that is what I use in my Dodge 4x4.
Russell

If you use it in your Dodge 4x4, I take it that it is a motor oil not a gear oil. Best to use a gear oil made for the job. Not one oil fits all theory.

I've always had better luck in finding neutral if I shift just before the bike stops rolling. It makes it much easier to go in. I too switched to Spectro and even though neutral wasn't a problem before, there is a huge difference both in finding neutral and all other shifting!

Back