free website stats program Hard time finding neutral | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard time finding neutral

I started using redline heavy duty shockproof in my tranny (pink) and my bike shifts much more smoothly now. Did have some problems in the beginning before I switched but since the change, works great. I also only have the toe shifter as I like the extra room on the floorboard and find it less confusing when shifting. I haven't used bellray in years since all of the new full syns have come out. Yours may just be getting used to the feel of the gears since you changed out the oil. Just play with it for awhile and see if it gets better.

I have ordered the Redline shockproof heavy and intend to change the oil in the primary this weekend, is the same oil recommended for the gearbox on the 09 Road King?

thanks
bart

I have ordered the Redline shockproof heavy and intend to change the oil in the primary this weekend, is the same oil recommended for the gearbox on the 09 Road King?

thanks
bart

The shockproof heavy IS for the gearbox, I wouldn't use it in the primary which is what I think you are saying here. The viscosity is too high.
The HD formula+ works well in the primary.

thanks
bart

Ok rewind was early in the morning, meant to say changing the oil in the gearbox this weekend, is the same oil recommended for the primary.
I see the answer is no, did think it sounded a bit too heavy for the primary,

I am currently using revtechs oil in the primary, when I changed the primary at the first service it was full of metal filings looked more like metallic paint than oil, has anyone else experienced this in the new Road King?

bart

Until things wear in concerning the primary on a new bike, you will get some nasty looking drain oil out of it when changing the oil. Most oils will work fine in the 10-30/10-40 range for the primary but not a synthetic oil in there or an oil marked "energy conserving"

Until things wear in concerning the primary on a new bike, you will get some nasty looking drain oil out of it when changing the oil. Most oils will work fine in the 10-30/10-40 range for the primary but not a synthetic oil in there or an oil marked "energy conserving"

Thanks Glider, So would amsoil 10 - 40 fully synthetic be OK then as it is classified as JASO MA suitable for wet clutches?

Thanks Glider, So would amsoil 10 - 40 fully synthetic be OK then as it is classified as JASO MA suitable for wet clutches?

Like stated above, I wouldn't use a synthetic in the primary myself. Clutch plates don't like to slip, they like to hook up and synthetic oils are very slippery compared to dino oils.

I'm using Amsoil in all three holes. Everything works fine. No slippage whatsoever.

Make sure your fluid levels in the primary are okay, with the experience you have this should be common knowledge but here goes: fill the primary with the bike level until the oil lightly touches the clutch basket. then stop.

Hope you get your problem fixed!

Black Bart,,,

As long as you can get Redline over there and it is CHEAPER, Why Not use Only Redline products???

I use 20/50 Redline in the engine....
Redline MTL or the special bottle that says Primary oil from Redline...
Shockproof Heavy for the tranny

Believe Me when I say This Oil Is Good Stuff!

You will Benefit $$$ wise by using the REDLINE because it is More Available over there and Less expensive then the Spectro....

Their oil (Redline) Is the Best in Many opinions(mine), From the engineer to the common lay person.

signed....BUBBIE:newsmile075:

Last edited:
Back