free website stats program Hard finding neutral | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard finding neutral

As glidr said adjust clutch correctly. get some good lube in gear box, and make sure primary is at correct level it will go right in any time any were
Before the 1K checkup I couldn't get it into neutral when the engine was really hot. When the indy moved the bike inside to start working on it his first comment was your clutch is way out of adjustment. (came this way from the factory and the dealer didn't do squat for the $500 set-up charge, not even smart enough to see the tour pack lights weren't plugged in) With the clutch adjusted properly it goes in at a stop from 1st to neutral, or from 2nd to neutral with ease. Most of the time I drop from second into neutral while the bike is still rolling so I can put both feet on the ground when the bike stops.

Make sure that the primary isn't overfilled. I was having trouble with finding neutral, went in and changed primary fluid and there was about 4 oz too much when I drained it. Refilled it with just a quart and presto... neutral is easy now.

My '08 Road King was very difficult to shift into neutral till about 6K miles. There is no fifth gear whine from that trans at all. My '09 FLHT shifted into neutral like butter from mile 1. Fifth gear has a very loud howl. Any corelation?
I'd definitely prefer the hard to find neutral.
08flhrrider

Thanks, I brought my bike in and got the clutch adjusted and went with a synthetic oil. Works fine now thanks for evryones advise

Adjust the clutch and better oil in the primary

As usual im late :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Glider, I gear down to 1st and then click it back up to neutral before the bike stops rolling. It's a tuff thing to find when the bike is stopped, and then by the time ya get there..........the light changed, it's almost not worth goin through the aggravation if ya miss the rolling oppertunity.

Back