Hard finding neutral

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by chancecx, Sep 20, 2009.

1. chancecx

chancecx New Member

I' am a new Harley owner of an 09 Street Glide. when the bike is warmed up and coming to a stop sign or a red light it is hard to find neutral. The bike has 2100 miles on it, changed the oil in all 3 holes at 900 miles. Does anyone else have this problem? and if so is there a fix to this problem

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

3. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

It's a Harley. Glider gave good advice. I am running a good synthetic gear oil in my 08 EGC and my clutch is adjusted, sometimes it is still tricky finding neutral once bike is warmed up.

4. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

i had the same problem when I first got my bike. Switching to Spectro made a world of difference. Welcome to the forum.

5. JJDH

JJDH Active Member

might be too much fluid in the primary, also what glider said

6. Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave Active Member

As an alternative, I find it easier to get the bike in neutral while it is still rolling. I tend to stay in gear at a stop sign or traffic light. If I need to get out of the way in a hurry, I don't want to be putting it back in gear.
    If I'm held up at a railroad crossing or something, I'll pop it in neutral the last few feet before I stop.
    Otherwise, everything that has already been said - good quality oil and a good clutch adjustment should fix you up.

Take care,
    Dave

7. srf506

srf506 Member

I concur with Dave. At a light I never take it out of gear in case I have to take evasive action for any reason. I've also a couple of times when I did shift into neutral forget to put it back into gear when leaving a light and almost got run over by the guy behind me. Obviously I was a clod for forgetting, but I won't be in that position again!

8. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Having been riding bikes for many years in almost every case where its difficult to find neutral try raising the revs a bit as you try to shift to neutral and it usually helps

Brian

9. wagsrk08

wagsrk08 Banned

Take the heeded advice on a quality synthethic transmission and primary fluid plus clutch adjustment. And I always leave my bike in gear when at stop sign or traffic light just in case I need to get out of someones way in a hurry.

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

The biggest point that is never brought up about finding neutral is to do it before you are completely stopped. It will drop right in then.:s